IRQ Conflict in W2k

Thread: IRQ Conflict in W2k

Post IRQ Conflict in W2k

Help!
    I have a Abit KT7/KT7-RAID Motherbord and I'm running Windows 2000. Everytime I put in the "Creative SB Live" sound card it wants to take "IRQ 11" which is already being used by the "NVidia" video card. I'm currently looking for a jumper setting on either card to resolve the conflict, but I'm not having any luck. Also every time I go through the Hardware Wizard in 2000 to resolve the issue by...

--disabling the sound card device
    --running through the Windows2k hardware wizard which places the sound card on another FREE IRQ
    --then reboot

...when windows boots up again it's back on IRQ 11. What can I do to resolve this issue?

Resource Device
    IRQ 11 NVidia Riva TNT2 Model 64
    IRQ 11 Creative SB Live! Basic (WDM)
    [LIST]

Remove the SB sound card from PC. Throw it away. Just Kidding about throwing it away, I hate SB. Go into bios, go to the section that has PCI devices, I think, then make sure you use manual setting so you can assign which IRQ goes to what device. Change IRQ 11 to show ISA/Legacy device. Restart the pc. Go into windows and device Manager, and make sure that the Vid card is using another IRQ. Then shut down the pc, install the SB, restart the pc and go into windows.

Hope this helps.

Actually, you have a VIA based motherboard. My other suggestion is to toss the SB for real and pick up a NON Creative Sound card as they are known to have issues with VIA based motherboards. Go to www.viahardware.com for the info.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Actually, you should set IRQ 5 for legacy device in you BIOS.
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!

Thanks Lycia and b4uc1i81! I went directly to http://www.viahardware.com and found out everybody's having problems with the SB Live card and there's also a newsgroup set up for the BIOS I have "alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit". This is my first time building a PC from scratch...

SB Live Card
    256 RAM
    800 AMD ANTHLON T-BIRD
    NVIDIA TNT 64
    ABIT KT7/KT7 RAID
    ATX TOWER CASE
    *2 MAXTOR DRIVES 13 AND 17 GIG
    *2 FLOPPIES
    *CHEAP A@@ Mitsumi CD ROM

...and I thought I had really messed up. I'm glad to know that it was just the same old incompatibility crap again. This damm thing was freezing up ramdomly from initial boot to about 5 mins after booting. Anyway thanks again.

Whaylon

P.S. Based on what I've read so far about SB Live cards and this motherboard I haven't tried to reinstall the sound card yet.

Lightbulb

Also in the sb16 emaulation enable LPT IRQ sharing then the card should go to its proper interupt after you reboot, I have had simliar probleems under Windows 98 se, After I fixed it I found that my system boots up realy quickly
    Also whenever I install Win2k I hit the f6 key as it is detecting devices and I select " standard PC " , this hepls out as well
    I may try Win 2k again
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Originally posted by b4uc1i81:
    Actually, you should set IRQ 5 for legacy device in you BIOS.
    Yes, I know that. However, both his cards were asking for IRQ11, so setting IRQ5 for legacy, would have no effect. Either way. The point of my above recommendation was to have IRQ11 reserved, so when the machine booted up it gave another free IRQ to the Video Card, then after reinserting the sound card, it would get a different free IRQ.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Darren Wilson

OK if Win2K is running in ACPI mode then nearly all the Plug N Play cards will use the same IRQ regardless of BIOS setting. Easiest way to get around this is to set IRQ5 to Legacy/ISA in the BIOS (this should be done anyway regardless of ACPI or not) to avoid conflicts with the Highpoint controller, then
    • Open Device Manager from Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device
    • Go to Computer tab and select the "ACPI enabled" option that you have there :- Select Properties - Go to Driver tab - Press Update Driver
    • "Welcome to Upgrade Device Driver" wizard opens up, press next to the first question. From the next page select "Display a list of the known drivers for this device so that I can choose a specific driver"
    • Select "Show all hardware of this device class"
    • From "(Standard computers)" select "Standard PC"
    • After the new driver has been installed press reboot
    • After reboot Windows 2000 redetects all of your hardware and installs device drivers again for them.
    • After reinstalling device drivers open Device Manager once again and open Computer tab and look if you have two "Standard PC" devices there. If you do have a look at the properties of both "Standard PC" devices and remove the one which has "driver not installed" in the Device Status screen
    • You are done and ACPI is no longer in use with Windows 2000

Also the following IRQ resources are set to the PCI slots:-
    • "INT Pin 1": AGP card and PCI Slot 1
    • "INT Pin 2": PCI Slot 2 and PCI Slot 3 and ACPI (if enabled)
    • "INT Pin 3": PCI Slot 5 (and HPT370 controller in KT7/A-RAID)
    • "INT Pin 4": PCI Slot 4 and PCI Slot 6 and USB

Note you can force a particular IRQ number to be used by a particular "INT Pin #" using the PNP/PCI Configurations Setup in the BIOS. This allows you to force a certain slot to use a specific IRQ. You should not normally need to do this. Note that if you have ACPI enabled, Windows will ignore the assignments made in the BIOS and allow ACPI to determine this.

If you have an AGP card and two PCI devices, but no ACPI, USB or HPT370 enabled, you can put those devices in
    • slots 2 and 4, 5 or 6
    • slots 3 and 4, 5 or 6
    • slots 4 and 5
    • slots 5 and 6

If you have an AGP card, two PCI devices and ACPI, but no USB or HPT370 enabled, you can put those devices in
    • slots 4 and 5
    • slots 5 and 6

If you have an AGP card, two PCI devices and USB, but no ACPI or HPT370 enabled, you can put those devices in
    • slots 2 and 5
    • slots 3 and 5

If you have an AGP card, two PCI devices and HPT370, but no ACPI or USB enabled, you can put those devices in
    • slots 2 and 4 or 6
    • slots 3 and 4 or 6

If you have an AGP card and two PCI devices and ACPI and USB but no HPT370 enabled, then
    • slot 5 will have its own IRQ

AMD recommend installing cards one at a time, shutting down and powering off between the addition of each card. They recommend installing cards in the following order:
    • AGP card
    • Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo I or Voodoo II Cards: Since these cards do not require an IRQ address, it is recommended that they be installed after the successful installation of your operating system. They do require a PCI slot
    • Any ISA card
    • Internal Modem (PCI)
    • Sound Card (PCI or ISA)
    • Network Card, a.k.a. NIC (PCI or ISA)
    • DVD Devices requiring Dxr3 Decoder Board (PCI)Note: Some video decoder boards require two (2) IRQs for complete functionality. Check with your video decoder card manufacturer for video decoder support and requirements
    • SCSI Adapter (PCI)
    • Any others

If you have any other problems or such with the Motherboard, most of the answers to questions can be found Here

Now THAT'S a post.
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!

Darren Wilson

The question was asked so I answered

Thats why we think Highly of Darren Around here. He is DAMN GOOD. You want a inch He'll give you a mile(even more if you'll co-star with him and your a 18-25yr old female from sweden)

Here's an update on the SB Live and VIA motherboard incompatibility. This came from http://www.viahardware.com
    ---------------------------------------

VIA says not their fault
    To whom it may concern:

During the past few weeks, problems were reported on several web sites stating that one of VIA’s chipset has compatibility issue with Creative SoundBlaster Live PCI Sound card. After debugging, verifying, and checking compatibility between our VT82C686B and other devices, we concluded that the problem is not totally related to our chipset. We found that the system problem will happen only under certain configurations and certain procedures, and only occur under Athlon processor based systems with VT82C686B chipset and Creative SB Live card. We also checked whether our chipset has any compatibility issues in other configurations, and the result was we did not find any such compatibility issues.

The configuration is described as follows: One IDE HDD ATA-100 or one ATA-66 HDD and enable default DMA mode; one IDE DVD-ROM and enable fault DMA mode; one Creative SB Live PCI sound card; one VGA card; and copy file, W2KSP2.exe (Win2K service pack2).

Consequently, we also developed a new IDE driver to resolve the compatibility issue with the Creative SoundBlaster sound card, and this IDE driver will be posted at our website for users who have Athlon based systems using this configuration.

Best regards,

VIA Technologies, Inc.

Discuss this subject further in our forum.
    Posted on Wednesday, May 2, 2001 jasper Comments (36)