Backing up my DVDs
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Backing up my DVDs

Backing up my DVDs

Well I went and purchased a DVD burner last week. Last night I tried to backup one of my DVD movies and it would not recognize the format. It is an HP burner and I tried using the HP software. Does anyone know of any programs out there that will let me make "legal backups" of my DVDs, something like cloneCD but for DVDs. Any input would be greatly appreciated as this damn drive cost me and arm and a leg.
    Thnx

There are several "DVD Copy/Backup" softwares available by doing some Googling. Keep in mind that they are ALL in violation of the DMCA. And purchasing that SW may, depending on how pissed the MPAA gets at these companies, get you fined or jailed.

Backing up a DVD MAY fall under the US Judical tendancy to allow "fair use" copies of Media you legally own. But to make a DVD "Backup" typically requires removal of the CSS encryption of the VOB files which is "circumventing a copy control device" and you therefore by purchasing this SW are "trafficing in a copy control circumvention device". So use your own discretion, if you decide to purchase these SW packages, or you could again using Google get all the tools you need as freeware. Just be aware of the possible legal reprecussions.

This is not FUD, I'm being serious: if you are a US'ian or Russian programmer.
    Last edited by NeuromancerIV; December 10th, 2002 at 12:03 PM.
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."
    -how to live a life well spent

Kidding

I got a copy of DeCSS free with my Doom III demo

10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1 Post Terminated !!!!!!!
    Pimps in da' front..... Ho's in da' back..... and Chumps in da' Trunk!

"A One that is not cold, is scarcely a One at all." StrongBad

Pretty damn confusing stuff, there's gotta be an easier way..

Yup its complex, so are the conflicting interests and laws...

You could also rip your dvd's to svcd ... but then you are taking a quality hit.

Just one thought... How many people, when buying a prerecorded VHS tape created a backup copy? Most people I know didn't and if the tape broke you went and bought another copy from the shop or did without it. But those people who have bought DVD's - the same that never "backed up" their vhs copy now want to create backup copies of their DVD's.

Before I get flamed - I am not for or against either camp - I am just seeing an attitude difference over backing up a vhs and a dvd.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NeuromancerIV
    all that guff that you said

Nice post sir... [doffs cap]
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

I may be talkin' out my butt here, but here goes.

There is no standard for DVD burners and everyone is using it's own proprietary format. Perhaps the HP burner is unable to translate the data from an original DVD to it's proprietary format. It may just want to use properly formatted (mpeg 2 files with the right sound format) computer files to make playable DVD's with.

Then again it could just be the copy protection.

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Yup its complex, so are the conflicting interests and laws...

You could also rip your dvd's to svcd ... but then you are taking a quality hit.

Just one thought... How many people, when buying a prerecorded VHS tape created a backup copy? Most people I know didn't and if the tape broke you went and bought another copy from the shop or did without it. But those people who have bought DVD's - the same that never "backed up" their vhs copy now want to create backup copies of their DVD's.

Before I get flamed - I am not for or against either camp - I am just seeing an attitude difference over backing up a vhs and a dvd.
    I tend to agree with you Noo. It may be due to top the fact that VHS backup t has always been a pretty straight forward deal much like "backing up" audio cassettes. Even in the age of macrovision copy protection, backing up VHS has never been as technically difficult as backing up DVDs.. . . . so perhaps it's always happened but not just really talked about because it's a task even a non technical person could handle.

If it really is a case of people not backing up VHS and now backing up DVD It is a bit odd because you'd think you'd want to back up VHS which can and will go south due to overplay, but a DVD will easily last a lifetime if properly taken care of
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

All of this beating around the bush is making me sick. If the guy is breaking the law, or you think he is, don't help. If you don't care, and have a solution, help out! Either way, copying DVD's will go on long after this thread dies, just the same as most of you spark up a joint! You_know that is illegal too, right!?!

I personally make DIVX rips of my DVD's, I can get VHS or better quality video with decent 2 channel audio on a single 700MB CD-R. No artifacting, and no blur in high action sequences. Its merely a matter of the encode.

There ARE some DVD players on the horizon that WILL play DIVX 4-5 encoded avi's. The very few out now do not have matured technology since they do not support the various audio codexs used. *damn you people! use the fraunhoffer radon MP3 codex!* I realise I technically am in violation of certain parts of the DMCA, and I am in no way encouraging anyone here to do so, without understanding the whole situation.

SVCD is becoming the new defacto standard for riping DVDs, you get VHS or higher quality quality with sweet audio but a typical movie will require 2 700MB CD-R discs.

Nice thing is most newer DVD players can play SVCD. But do check to make sure first before purchasing a DVD player. SVCD began in China since the Chinese DVD Manufacturers aren't keen on paying the DVD Consortium royalties, and thus we get Region Free DVD players with the capability of playing CD-Rs and MP3/VCD etc.

A DVD to DVD rip IS possible after DECSS'ing *ahem* the VOB files and using some basic DVD authoring/burning software. However a number of DVDs are Double Layer, 8+gigs a side, and no current DVD-R/DVD+R supports Double Layer, yet. So you'd have to split the movie.

What's interesting to note as of late, is several DVD's I have purchased here in the States/Canada have come WITHOUT the CSS encryption...I'm wondering of the DVD producers are begining to realise that paying a royalty to MacroVision for an already cracked encryption is money wasted and depriving consumers of their traditional rights....yeah right, its the money...
    Last edited by NeuromancerIV; December 10th, 2002 at 03:04 PM.

Originally posted by Ya_know
    All of this beating around the bush is making me sick. If the guy is breaking the law, or you think he is, don't help. If you don't care, and have a solution, help out! Either way, copying DVD's will go on long after this thread dies, just the same as most of you spark up a joint! You_know that is illegal too, right!?!
    Just because I/he may be breaking the law, does not make the law Just. Civil Disobedience is oftimes the only way to get an unjust law noticed and on the Media's "Hot Topic Radar".

How many of your freinds/family understand the possible impact the DMCA will have/is having on their lives? I can give any number of web sites if you wish for further information on this unwarranted government enforced mandate on ensuring its largest political contributers' profit margins.

I gave several alternatives, and also pointed out the possible legal reprecussions, and at the same time I'm also trying to respect Scott's rules on Windrivers for discussing certain topics.

You seem to hint the charge of hypocrisy in the posts, I'm not being hypocritical, I hold the seemingly heretical idea that once I PAY for something, I OWN it, and therefore what I do with it, short of distributing it, making illegal copies for sell, is up to me. Besides, this IS an interesting thread, and touches several topics I'm quite active about, and I'd hate for it to get closed.

legalizing drugs/TEH Drug WAR is whoooole other thread! *and likely flamewar!, won't someone please think of the children!!111one*

Blargh!
    Last edited by NeuromancerIV; December 10th, 2002 at 02:46 PM.

I am more than happy to see a civilised discussion about the whole thing with DVD encryption, rights to back up or not etc. As long as it doesn't degenerate into a flame war or links are given for that which under the current laws would be deemed illegal.

So hands up - how many of you actually did back up your pre-recorded vhs tapes?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ok, NooNoo, I never copied a single VHS tape, except to give someone else a copy of it, same thing with CD's. I think if I had a DVD burner I would do it for the same reason, or vice versa...does that answer your question?

NeuromancerIV, I wasn’t going against your grain, in fact I thought your post was the most open, objective, and informative of all of the posts in the thread thus far. I was just trying to get people to the point of addressing Johnny’s concerns, before we all grew old and died.

NeuromancerIV, I wasn’t going against your grain, in fact I thought your post was the most open, objective, and informative of all of the posts in the thread thus far. I was just trying to get people to the point of addressing Johnny’s concerns, before we all grew old and died.
    HEH!

No worries. I hope I didn't come off as defensive, I just tend to blather on and on, *grumbles to self about my typical barrage of typing* ...just wait till I go off about the semantics regarding the usage of the word "Piracy" as substitute for "Copyright Violation"

"ARHHH matey! there be gold in yonder P2P networks"
    Last edited by NeuromancerIV; December 10th, 2002 at 04:00 PM.

What crawled up your butt and died today? Yeeesh.

Discussing whether or not helping him may be illegal (and breaks forum rules) is just a part of the evolution of a thread. Perhaps you should get some smokeum and chillllllll.
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; December 10th, 2002 at 04:12 PM.