Backing up my DVDs - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Backing up my DVDs

Banned
    Not to be an a-hole, but if you spent a lot of money on it, couldn't you call them up if it isn't doing what it is suppossed to be doing?

I did happen to find a program called DVD cloner , It's shareware and will allow you to copy straight from DVD to DVD-R without having to break the Sh*t out of the Audio and video and then reconstruct it(supposedly). The demo lets you copy backup 1 DVD only and then you can purchase the program , so I'll see how that goes tonight. I just want to backup some of my DVDs and PS2 games as They're always lying around and being stepped on. If I can't do something as simple as that , then there really was no point in spending all the cash on this drive.

Originally posted by ilovetheusers
    What crawled up your butt and died today? Yeeesh.

Discussing whether or not helping him may be illegal (and breaks forum rules) is just a part of the evolution of a thread. Perhaps you should get some smokeum and chillllllll.
    OK, I deserved that. Can we move on...

Originally posted by Johnny Blaze
    I did happen to find a program called DVD cloner , It's shareware and will allow you to copy straight from DVD to DVD-R without having to break the Sh*t out of the Audio and video and then reconstruct it(supposedly). The demo lets you copy backup 1 DVD only and then you can purchase the program , so I'll see how that goes tonight. I just want to backup some of my DVDs and PS2 games as They're always lying around and being stepped on. If I can't do something as simple as that , then there really was no point in spending all the cash on this drive.
    Oh, I disagree with the no point to the drive. You can use it for making your own movies, and for backing up files that will not fit on CD, and I'm not sure but soon images.

Ever try to fit a 2000 image with service pack, office and other proggies to fit on a single CD? Well, they don't fit too good from what I have seen at work (someone else creating the image).

Personally I'm waiting for a standard and cheaper drives (like $150 over $350).

Banned
    Ok, I am claiming big time ignorance here. So the DVD burners out will make you a new DVD with data or your own video, but will not burn your store bought DVD's do to an encryption put on them by the manufacturor?

WOW, after spending the money that they are asking for one of these. Is this for the PC DVD burners only, or as well as the super high dollar ones that look like they attach to the TV and act like the old 2 slot VHS machines?

IMHO, I say its my DVD, I bought it, and short of distributing it, I should be able to do what I want. But I can also see the legal reasons behind the law to. They filmed it, and produced it, they should be able to make a return on there investment. Question is, should the Honest guy that just wants to backup his property be punished cause theres someone else out there trying to beat the system, I say no.

Originally posted by Cleetus
    Ok, I am claiming big time ignorance here. So the DVD burners out will make you a new DVD with data or your own video, but will not burn your store bought DVD's do to an encryption put on them by the manufacturor?

WOW, after spending the money that they are asking for one of these. Is this for the PC DVD burners only, or as well as the super high dollar ones that look like they attach to the TV and act like the old 2 slot VHS machines?
    Correct, no DVD to DVD copies on the standalones, its quite feasible, but the MPAA would go absolutely ape..(sarcasm)after all VHS copying destroyed Hollywood(/sarcasm)

Most of the standalone recorders are simply juiced up PVR's, and most of them (YMMV of course), record onto DVD-RAM discs *NOT compatible with with DVD-Roms and DVD Players*, some MAY or may NOT record onto DVD-/+R discs, though they MAY be able to READ them. Some have additional connectors from PCs via Firewire, some don't. Most of what the standalone players are good for is "recording from a DV camcorder, VHS, or computer with firewire output."

The features and compatibility tables are really damned confusing, I don't advise getting one yet. Wait for the Gen2 units next year. If you want to buy from the current crop, Panasonic/Pioneer, research and compare specs.
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."
    -how to live a life well spent

Originally posted by Cleetus

Dunno, hopefully Johnny will tell us tomorrow and yes it's the PC ones. I don't think you can even get a cosole DVD burner yet in the US can you? Also, most people are ignorant of brand new technology that costs an arm and a leg. I'm just guessing at things myself and it looks like a lot of people here were too.

One thing I was thinking about was that fact that the current DVD-R format is about half the size that the movier companies use, isn't it? like 4.xGB over 8.xGB? Perhaps that will be a limitation as well? Let us know Johnny!

Originally posted by NeuromancerIV
    Correct, no DVD to DVD copies on the standalones, its quite feasible, but the MPAA would go absolutely ape..(sarcasm)after all VHS copying destroyed Hollywood(/sarcasm)

Most of the standalone recorders are simply juiced up PVR's, and most of them (YMMV of course), record onto DVD-RAM discs *NOT compatible with with DVD-Roms and DVD Players*, some MAY or may NOT record onto DVD-/+R discs, though they MAY be able to READ them. Some have additional connectors from PCs via Firewire, some don't. Most of what the standalone players are good for is "recording from a DV camcorder, VHS, or computer with firewire output."

The features and compatibility tables are really damned confusing, I don't advise getting one yet. Wait for the Gen2 units next year. If you want to buy from the current crop, Panasonic/Pioneer, research and compare specs.
    Yeah, what he said. My old roomie got a pioneer and he's quite happy with it, though he's not trying to cpoy movies -bet he may have tried though...

Someone posted that Lite-On were gonna produce a +R-R dvdrw next year... Is this a solution, or is it just like a video recorder that can take both betamax and vhs videos?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Someone posted that Lite-On were gonna produce a +R-R dvdrw next year... Is this a solution, or is it just like a video recorder that can take both betamax and vhs videos?
    I believe sony already has a drive that works with both +R/+RW and -R/-RW here and it is :
    here

Yup, just allows multiple formats.

Sony's current external DRX-500UL will do DVD+R-R/+RW-RW. I've been really looking at these models, be nice to get all my ISO's onto a few discs I know would run in about any DVD-Rom. The DRU-500A is the internal model.
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."
    -how to live a life well spent

Smile

No, I didn't back up my VHS tapes. Always went out and bought a new one when it wore out or the kids trashed it. I didn't own 2 VCRs or a player and a VCR.

I now have a DVD player, DVD drive in the computer and a CD-R. Why shouldn't I be able to make a backup copy of a DVD or CD? When I buy a computer game for the kids, I like to make a copy and have them use that for actual game play and lock up the real one. I would also like to be able to do the same for DVD's. All it takes is one of my boys to not put a CD/DVD away correctly..... One scratch in the wrong place and they're coasters. I've even accidently scratched DVD's taking them out/putting then back in the case the way I'm supposed to!

As far as the games go, with most you need the original CD to use them. Yes, I've tried the "work arounds" More often than not they DON'T work.

Maybe I'm the odd person out here, but I don't copy programs or games to 'loan' to friends. I also don't download music that I already haven't purchased in some form or another, from albums through CD. I'm not against it, mind you, but just something I don't do. Knowing my luck I'd be the small person M$ or the recording industry would find and go after.

Sorry for the length!

Sue

I am more than happy to see a civilised discussion about the whole thing with DVD encryption, rights to back up or not etc. As long as it doesn't degenerate into a flame war or links are given for that which under the current laws would be deemed illegal.

So hands up - how many of you actually did back up your pre-recorded vhs tapes?

Me. Back in the day I backed them all up. But then again back in the day they were much more expensive. Now replacing movies is not much more expensive than dubbing cause a decent blank tape costs a few bucks and a pre-recorded is not much more.

Oh and after a mis-hap with about 200 bucks worth the cassettes I used to make myself copies of those too.

It's not worth it. Making a decent backupup of an original DVD to a DVD-r is not easy. It takes a loooooong time to do even on a fast PC, and if you make a single mistake on any of the multiple steps you find you have no sound, no picture, or halfway through the movie it dies, (that ones fun). I have copied several DVD's sucessfully, but after a few it really is one of the most boring uninteresting mind numbing things you can do with your PC.