USB 2.0 problems

Thread: USB 2.0 problems

Unhappy USB 2.0 problems

Running Windows XP Pro SP1. I have an Asus P4B266 motherboard which has two USB 1.x ports and four USB 2.0 ports. It seems that the 2.0 ports do not work properly, whereas the 1.x ports work fine. The problem seems to be with autodetecting USB devices on the 2.0 ports when the computer is started. If I plug my scanner, CF card reader, or digital camera into the these ports and start my computer, the devices are not detected. They might work if I disconnect and reconnect them, but not every time. If I plug any of those devices into the 1.x ports, they are autodetected without a problem no matter what. I tried updating my USB drivers from the Asus site, but all those drivers did was corrupt the images on my CF cards so I had to format them again! I rolled back to the original NEC USB 2.0 driver which came with WinXP Pro.

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this problem? If you need more information on my setup, please let me know.

Just a thought but are the cables connected to these devices rated for USB 2 i.e they may be suffering from cross talk at boot up.

The device is a USB 2.0 compliant device. I have also tried connecting the devices one at a time without any success.

For the time being, I have moved my mouse to the USB 2.0 ports and put my scanner and digital camera on the USB 1.1 ports (which seems ridiculous) but I still have my compact flash card reader which needs to be connected somewhere. I considered buying a USB hub so I could connect everything to the USB 1.1 bus but that doesn't make sense when my motherboard offers 6 total USB ports!

Have you tried removing the 1.1 ports? It might be the mix and match hubs...?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I could try disabling the 1.1 ports in device manager and see what happens. But they work fine, so I'm less inclined to believe that is the problem. But I'll try anything at this point.

No dice.

But my computer has an extra header for two more USB 1.1 ports. The bracket for this was missing from my motherboard, but I called Asus' RMA department and they are sending me one free of charge. So at least I can use those ports instead.

Maybe these USB2.0 ports are the equivalent of trying to use USB in Windows 95...

Yeah, but you should be able to use your usb 2.0's

I assume asus didn't have an answer for the usb 2 problem?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I've posted on their forums awaiting an answer, but nothing yet. Although another person who has similar problems with the same mobo posted in response to my request, so at least I know I'm not alone!

Have you tried updating your motherboard chipset drivers, which will in turn update your USB driver also. The chipset inf update from Intel or if VIA the 4in1. If it is a newer chipset like the Intel 450 WinXP will load standard drivers for everything, including USB, but the standard drivers usually do not work very well for any chipset released after the OS. Also go directly to VIA or Intel's site for the download as motherboard manf. tend to be a few versions behind.

GHSTech, The P4B266 is an Intel 845D board. Updating the chipset drivers (which I already tried BTW) won't help because the USB 2.0 controller is made by NEC. Windows XP SP1 (which I have) has proper drivers to make it work, but I have found out that the implementation of USB 2.0 on this board is about as flakey as a jumbo sized box of Raisin Bran, and PLENTY of other people have the same problem. Apparently, it is some sort of hardware issue that cannot be addressed by a BIOS update. This was one of the very first boards to ever ship with onboard USB 2.0, so I guess they didn't get it right. Keep in mind that the hardware came first, and driver support didn't come until much later. I disabled the USB 2.0 controller completely using a jumper on my motherboard because it is essentially useless.

Fortunately, other people have had horrible problems with the onboard sound but it has worked perfectly for me, so at least I can count on that in my favour.

Thanks to everyone for their help, this one is done.