xp internet connection problem

Thread: xp internet connection problem

xp internet connection problem

I have a computer in the shop running windows xp home and he can no longer connect to the internet. He is using AOL 8.0. Looks like he upgraded from aol7.0 which is also still there. When ever you try to connect it dials and "connects" but before you can go to any site it says an error in dial up networking was detected and restart and try again. I've tried making a normal dail up connection with the store account and get the same results. I've removed the dial up ( I think not very familiar with nt/xp ) and reinstalled with the same results. Now if this was win9x I'd remove dial up networking and all network devices and delete all the winsock2 keys from the registry and try again but .... What do you do with xp?

I tried the MS knowledge base but it is "restructering" and couldn't find anything. Any and all help would be appreciated.

P.S. I've seen a lot of corrupt tcp/ip/DUN lately I'd really like to know how to fix this with a nt/2000/xp machine.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Is this what you were looking for?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q181599

Yes and no. That's what I want to do but I need it for Windows XP/2000/nt

Wow, shows how much I am paying attention!

Sorry, I walked away, then came back and replied to your post. I should have reread it.

No problem I have days like that too

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks Noo Noo that looks like it. I've been searching on and off all day and keep coming up blank on MSKB and their site in general. And by the way why am I seeing double? The info is laid out like two pages side by side and they identicle?!?

Okay I went back to that site and now I'm not getting the double column stuff. However when I run the command they say to run i get the following error:

WARNING: Could not obtain host informationfrom machine:[<usersname>]. Some commands may not be available.
    Access denied.

Is this an administrator rights issue or is something else going on? I know it was too good to be true that I could fix this problem with a simple command like they had there!!!

Any help or ideas is welcome.

TIA

I talked to aol and he told me to uninstall aol and reinstall an earlier version, he recommended 6.0. When I tried our 6.0 disk it insisted that it should install 5.0 instead. 5.0 refuses to see a modem and continues to try and connect via dsl. This computer does not even have a network card.

I then uninstalled all aol again and ran sfc. Then I tried to run the command shown on NooNoo's link and I still get the same error:

WARNING: Could not obtain host information from machine Some commands may not be available.
    access denied.

So what does that mean? Any xp gurus out there? Help please

TIA

Have you tried this in safemode logged in as Administrator (not user with admin rights)?

Secondly AOL do something very funky with their dialup adapters... whats the betting if you show hidden devices in XP device mangler the aol dialup adapter is still there....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."