taskbar buttons

Thread: taskbar buttons

Question taskbar buttons

We recently bought a new laptop for a user with WinXP Pro. When the user opens up a few windows, he noticed a weird thing happening. When he clicks on the buttons for the various open windows, it does not make the clicked window active. The current windows remains on top and does not switch to the other windows.

I cannot find anything about this on google - the only thing I can find taskbar button related is about how to ungroup the buttons. Not our problem..

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Is it always the same type of window that does this? EG internet explorer or windows explorer or a particular application?

If it's a particular app - it could be set to be always ontop?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

no. It does not matter what he opens. He opened (to show me) about 5 windows - OE, My Docs, Explorer, IE, and Word. Clicking the buttons did not switch active windows..

If you bring up the task manager, are any of the windows shown as not responding?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    If you bring up the task manager, are any of the windows shown as not responding?
    no, and alt-tab switches between the windows properly. Just clicking on the buttons does not work.. weird.

Daft idea, is the task bar locked? trying unlocking then locking or the other way round...

Daft idea, is the task bar locked? trying unlocking then locking or the other way round...
    tried both already..

sfc /scannow ?

sfc /scannow ?
    sfc works in xp? I thought it was only 98.. I will try it.. what is the /scannow option?

start, help and support, type in sfc - hit search....