Help installing new Mobo with existing win XP
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help installing new Mobo with existing win XP

Help installing new Mobo with existing win XP

I currently have win XP home installed on my hard drive. I've just upgraded my mobo and proc (barebones computer). After adding my drives with the win XP installed, the computer won't boot. I get through post, then I get a stop error (blue screen) with the 0x0000007B error. I can't seem to find anything out on the net that addresses this. Best I could find was a site that said I'd have to reinstall the OS. Also, can't get the computer to boot from the win xp CDROM. Will boot up fine in my old computer from the CD. Could I have the bios settings wrong? The mobo is an ECS K7S5A V.3.1 and AMP XP 1900 cpu. I can't really wipe the drive because it has critical data on it. The win XP is an OEM version, not upgrade version. Also, I've downloaded the install floppies from MS support site but haven't tried them yet. HELP!

Does it say anything else along with that error message??

Could I have my bios settings wrong?

Also, can't get the computer to boot from the win xp CDROM. I've tried different boot orders in the bios with no luck. the XP cd boots up fine in my old computer from the CD. Could I have the bios settings wrong? I even tried having the bios set so it boots from the CD only. The mobo is an ECS K7S5A V.3.1 and AMP XP 1900 cpu. I can't really wipe the drive because it has critical data on it. The win XP is an OEM version, not upgrade version. Also, I've downloaded the install floppies from MS support site but haven't tried them yet. * I was able to boot with a Win Me boot disk and browse the Cdrom, but not the drive because it's NTFS...just more info.
    Last edited by Bug Mekanic; December 11th, 2002 at 01:21 PM.

Re: Could I have my bios settings wrong?

Originally posted by Bug Mekanic
    I currently have win XP home installed on my hard drive. I've just upgraded my mobo and proc (barebones computer). After adding my drives with the win XP installed, the computer won't boot. I get through post, then I get a stop error (blue screen) with the 0x0000007B error. I can't seem to find anything out on the net that addresses this. Best I could find was a site that said I'd have to reinstall the OS. Also, can't get the computer to boot from the win xp CDROM. I've tried different boot orders in the bios with no luck. the XP cd boots up fine in my old computer from the CD. Could I have the bios settings wrong? The mobo is an ECS K7S5A V.3.1 and AMP XP 1900 cpu. I can't really wipe the drive because it has critical data on it. The win XP is an OEM version, not upgrade version. Also, I've downloaded the install floppies from MS support site but haven't tried them yet. HELP!
    Make sure your mobo is set to boot from a cd (errr...you already tried that....) or use the floppies you have. Also, no need to post in more than one thread.

Threads merged
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Threads merged
    You are da MAM!

Talking Sorry 'bout the double post

The more I thought about it, the more I thought it was maybe a bios setting problem rather than the OS being it still boots the OS fine on my old computer. As far as the error messages, I get the 7B error, then a bout three in (*), but I can't recall what they are as the computer is at my home and I'm at work. I thought the 0X0000000's in brackets were memory addresses(?) Not really sure.

XP does not like being moved from machine to machine or in your case motherboard to motherboard. If the two mobos were different XP is going to have a tough time, because the hal layer it created for your previous setup does not jive with the new hardware you have.

I've heard that booting from the CD and choosing repair the current installation can sometimes work.

another option would be to reinstall using the same folder. This is not like doing it in 9X though. your other programs though still installed and safe and sound, will not be in the start menu or the registry and most likely will not work until they are installed again over top of themselves. but you will not lose any data doing it this way, you just may have to reinstall some programs.

there was a link floating around here a little while ago about generating a new hal. I can't seem to find it anywhere. I think it was something like hitting F5 during the beginning of windows setup. anybody else remember.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

f5 when xp setup says press f6 gives you the HAL types to install and you can override the auto setup this way. Usually you need to set a standard hal because the bios is not quite compliant with acpi standards for xp, but xp doesn't quite see that its not...

As kato says, swapping motherboards - especially different chipsets kill the xp install.

Either try the auto repair option when setup has run, or install over the top, or even to a different directory as a parallel install - this option will not keep your installed proggies, but it will not change any settings on the old install and you can access the data.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question repair install

I'd be willing to try a repair install...but right now she won't boot from the CD...I will try the floppies tonight, but shouldn't it boot from the CD?? Seems like it crashes before I even get the the xp boot...It won't boot in safe mode either, so I can't even try the F5 HAL re-do thing.

Have you set it to boot from cdrom in bios?

Do you get the message press any key to boot from cd after the bios is done?

yeah, I've set it to boot from the CD first. No luck. Also tried "Optimal" bios settings, tried removing all components except 1 stick of SDRM and the HD, but still no luck...

does the bios see the cdrom? When its counted ram, and the ide is set to auto for the cdrom - does it report the cdrom's presence properly?

The bios does see the CDRom when set to auto detect. I did have a problem with it detecting the CD at one point last night but can't recall what I did to fix that (It was late and I was beat). But at latest boot try, Yes the bios does recognise the CDs.
    When its counted ram, and the ide is set to auto for the cdrom
    what do you mean by "counted ram"?

On a standard computer you get the following sequence

The video card bios loading
    The System board bios - Ami or Award usually
    Then it start's the POST
    One of the first checks is to count through the ram.

OK on an old machine it can take forever, and on the newer machine you can blink and miss it.

After the ram has been checked, any ide devices set to auto then are reported on the screen...

This is followed by any other devices with their own bios. Finally you get a screen showing all the pci devices and their irqs and address used. At this point, if it's set to boot from CDrom you will get the message - press any key to boot from cdrom. You have about 3 seconds to hit a key. Failure to hit a key will result in cdrom being ignored and it will move on to the next boot device in the list in bios.