What to do

Thread: What to do

What to do

I say I am sure I did not do anything, the computer says I am not telling the truth. It doesn't let me click to any icon in Control Panel. It keeps giving me this message:

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system adniminstrator."

Well, I am the administrator and don't knwo what to do. I am the only one who uses this machine and never had this problem before.

Any suggestion?

Have you been playing with Internet Explorer Security?

Installed any Security Programs?

Use Poledit?

Check this registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

anything showing there?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I downloaded windows upgrades, but not IE6. Everything was fine. I turned the machine off. Later I booted and wanted to double chech the security of IE from option menu. I got that message. I went to Contrl Panel and got that message again. I must have done something but could not recall waht was that.

I followed the key you suggested. There is no ActiveDesktop. (There is no desktop anywhere in the registry!) Instead, i looked up in Explorer. There, there is NoControlPanel with Hex value 01 00 00 00. I Changed it to 00 00 00 00 and it seems it was the culprit. All is normal now.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer