exchange server antivirus

Thread: exchange server antivirus

exchange server antivirus

I would like to know if you guys know of any good antivirus programs for an exchange server.

I like Symantec's Antivirus solution. Trend Micro also makes a good product. Stay away from McAfee if you value your uptime.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Would go with Symantic - we use AntiVirus Corporate. It's easy to manage, easy to deploy, and easy to update, as well as (in our experience) it works and causes no problems (if you don't count some prelim work such as getting rid of old engines and dats and re-booting before installing!)

Plus, it is not expensive (over here, UK @ about £40 per machine)

Good luck!

tha 4NiK8R whats wrong with mcafee. I've heard exchange admins say negative things about synmantec also. I think its all a matter of opionion. At my old school all the exchange admins used Mcafee and they were pleased with it.

We use Symantec for desktop and Trend Mirco for the exchange server.

works good. (symantec old version would delete your infomation store if you got a virus!! lol!!)
    You know you want a crabby patty!!

We use Mcafee on our exchange server. It's worked well for us so far - although we have had to dig through some bugs in the past.

My only issue with it is we use Exchange 5.5 still (moving to 2000 within 6 months) and the name resolution doesn't work all that well. I've gotten alerts about emails from "nobody" going to "nobody" with "nothing" attached which as "no virus" but it blocked it anyway...

I was told my Mcafee support that the name resolution works better in Exchange 2000 - I hope so!
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Symantec, NAV for Exchange. You can also use it to block files with certain extensions from going through your e-mail (like exe's).
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

Well I'll let you know because I'm deploying it on exchange 2000 in about 30 minutes.

For general A/V protection I've always used Norton. I find it easier to deal with than McAfee. As for what to use specificly for Exchange, we use a program called Antigen by Sybari Software. It scans incoming/outgoing messages on the Exchange server and will clean any infections that it finds. It's been very effective so far. Get more info here. http://www.sybari.com/products/antigen_exchange.asp
    My brain went into standby mode and I can't get it to wake up, is there a BIOS patch for this?

We have Trend Micro on our server and workstations. I like it a lot better than Norton as it does not slow down the workstations while it runs in the background. All of our workstations are updated daily through the network and we have had several KLEZ viruses and Nimda viruses and none of them made it through my virus software.

Lightbulb Antigen for Exchange

As an Exchange Administrator for the past five Years, I'd have to say that there is ONLY one solution if You care about securing Your data and ensuring that the software scannes ALL (100%) of the incoming and outgoing email.

The only solution for this is ANTIGEN for Exchange from Sybari Software (http://www.sybari.com).

This uses either the VSAPI or ESE interface.

With this solution You could set up as many as six (6) scanner engines from for example NAI, Sophos, CA, Norman or Kaspersky.

We previuosly used NAI products for our Exchange-server and we have tried both Symantec and Trends products, but we prefer ANTIGEN for Exchange from SYBARI.

We just started using Panda's Exchange Server antivirus. So far, so good, just make sure you call their support for an installation walk-through. There are a bunch of registry settings that you have to change that aren't documented anywhere that I could find.
    Do You Realize? - that you have the most beautiful face
    Do You Realize? - we're floating in space -
    Do You Realize? - that happiness makes you cry
    Do You Realize? - that everyone you know someday will die

Our Mcafee has gone to poop. It sometimes resets itself and allows all files to flow freely OR it decides to block everything. Does this randomly.
    It's also randomly alerting on emails, for no reason - sometimes blocks them too for no reason.
    We've been working with Mcafee on the issue for a LONG time now and they arent all that helpful.
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Norton enterprise works great buts its damn expensive, also i wish i could geat a source IP address of the messages it quarentines. At least we havent had a single virus on our exchange server scince we put it on though.

It's alot better than command, gotta love command it has an auto-update that only updates when you open the console and click the update button. Thanks to command our server was massively infected with klez/el kern.