dialing into a terminal server?

Thread: dialing into a terminal server?

Question dialing into a terminal server?

Hey ppl, we have a terminal server setup at our location so user at remote buildings but on same network can run programs(everyone's on a 10.10.x.x network). Now, we have 2 users not on our network who have modems. I need to setup these users to dial into our terminal server and access the shortcuts to run certain apps. So far I've setup 'Accept incoming connections' thru Network and Dial-up Connections and assigned only those users 'dial-in access'. I've tested the connection, and I connect, but I'm stuck here Am I on the right track? Any input would be helpful

-l8r
    "knowledge is power"

Are the dialing DIRECTLY to a modem bank in you main office??

or are they dialing into a local ISP and then trying to connect? (u have a firewall?)

I have an answer for both. let me know.
    You know you want a crabby patty!!

thanks for the reply SpongeBob They're dialing into a modem
    bank.

-l8r
    "knowledge is power"

Once they dialin to your modem, can you access shares on the network and see the network? If so, there's no reason you can't run the TS client from your remote machine. Make sure you're using the right DNS/WINS server settings on your remote dialup connection.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Exactly... if it is a modem bank, then just double check you RAS config to make sure they are getting a Correct IP and they should just use the TS client like any one else on a direct connection. (T1, ISDN,VPN)

If they are not getting vaild IP's, go back to the accept incomming calls, choose properties and set the IP range and make sure to exclude that range in your DHCP scope.

Also, to save time and insure security, you might want to set up callback. They call in... auth... then it hangs up... and server calls them back at a SPECIFIC number. (Home or remote office line) This way they can only connect from that place and some other fool who is war dialing cant "hack" your RAS connection.

This also make you accounting Dept. life easier.. if they incure any rembursable phone charges, they now dont have that, as you calling them and it gets billed directly to the company phone bill.

Question

If they are not getting vaild IP's, go back to the accept incomming calls, choose properties and set the IP range and make sure to exclude that range in your DHCP scope.
    SpongeBob, should I setup DHCP on the dial-in server?
    Right now it's just a stand alone.

-A
    "knowledge is power"

you dont NEED to.. in the advanced properties for RAS you can set a range of IP's to hand out on connection. THAT would be like a pseudo dhcp for JUST the RAS people. those IP's need to be VALID ip's on you LAN. Which mean that they would fall into you current DHCP scope on you normal DHCP server. (if not how are your clients getting IPs?)

Ex.
    Server1 - DHCP
    --scope 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.200

Server2 - RAS
    --Users get ip's of 192.168.15 - 192.168.20

reconfigure server 1 to:
    --scope 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.200
    ----Excluding 192.168.15 - 192.168.20

Then when they dial in they get an ip between .15 and .20

(this aviods the DHCP from giving a LOCAL client .15- .20 and the later the RAS server doing the same to a remote client and you would have an IP conflict)

now to your routers and switches (if your on a routed / VLANs or whatever network) they look like they are local clients and you wont need to reconfigure any of them.

The client should now just run the TS client like anyone else on the LAN.