[RESOLVED] FAT32 Conversion Utility

Thread: [RESOLVED] FAT32 Conversion Utility

Idontknow

Resolved [RESOLVED] FAT32 Conversion Utility

Is there any free downloadable utility out there that can convert a FAT16 hard drive to FAT32? I haven't been successful searching. I don't want buy either Partition Commander or Partition Magic just to convert a hard drive. Windows 98 refused to convert any hard drive that has bad sectors.

Can anyone give me suggestions?

Your help is appreciated.

Young Gun

Exclamation

Bad blocks, in my experiance, have lead to a faulty hard drive within a few months so it maybe worth replacing the hard drive. This is not always the case but if windows won't install because of bad blocks it is a good sign that the hard drive is faulty.

Hope this helps

The other thing to do is make sure you back up all data, then do a low level format on the hardrive. THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING and put the hardrive back to original spec as when it comes from manufacturer. Then run fdisk and format. That way you can get rid of bad sectors and easily convert using FDisk to fat32.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

fhctech

Cool

Western Digital's newest drive utility - Data Lifeguard is downloadable free at :
    http://www.westerndigital.com

This will convert FAT16 to FAT32, but does require a second drive that is WD in brand. It will make a mirror image of your drive on the WD drive and convert it. Then, you can make an image of the WD drive back to your original HDD.
    Or, if you're original drive is WD, then you can use any other brand of HDD for the second drive.

Or you could just go to your hardrive makers website and download their equivalent of data lifeguard tools
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Idontknow

Thanks for the replies.

I have to clarify a little. This is one of four machines that had been upgraded to Windows 98 SE from Windows 95. All the other ones are OK. This particular is also running fine, just not converted to FAT32. I would prefer to convert to FAT32 because of sector size. The HDD in question is a 2GB Seagate SCSI.

I haven't done a low level format for quite some time. Is it necessary for a SCSI?

Thanks for your helps!

Have you tried running scandisk to repair the bad sectors before attempting the conversion?

Idontknow

Red face

Hi Big Q,

That's when the trouble started. Windows 98's Drive Converter told me to run Scandisk. I did. Scandisk found a bad sector and repaired it by labeling it. Now Drive Converter will not convert due to the bad sector.

Any suggestions?

Dittos to Lycia69, the manufacturers drive utility will do the most thorough job. WD Data Lifeguard can swap out bad tracks for unused ones as Ruslan pointed out. Also, Norton scandisk does a much better job than Windows. I've seen Windows completely miss bad sectors and then not defrag because of bad sectors. Just make sure you check on "Thorough" in options.