finding new hardware

Thread: finding new hardware

finding new hardware

Here goes guys. Trying to help a friend who did a format-reinstall of Win98SE on his sisters HP compter. He says he used the restore disk and all seemed to go fine with one exception. At boot up each time the computer goes through the routine of copying files and searching for new hardware. This obviously makes for a long boot proccess. What is the fix here. I am sure when I hear it I will hit myself cause I am assuming it is very basic!

Thanks; I can't offer more info on the setup as I am trying to help via telepathy!

you could disable PNP in the BIOS but what exactly does it search for?
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

You might try going into Device Manager and see how things look there. Delete any multiple listings...u know, Serial Mouse installed twice, etc. Check for any exclamation marks, errors, etc. After making any changes, reboot.

Also, what drivers are it trying to load in the New Hardware routine. Quite often, it will try to keep loading printer drivers if the printer is connected and turned on during boot up.

Just a couple of suggestions...let us know how it ends up.

Originally posted by clouiseize
    Use Regcleaner its on my site
    I didnt see it there but try here at my site. if you wish
    Danimals Cave

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

now that we are off topic I thought Id let you knwo your site on random pages send you here http://www.searchclix.co.uk/ link your pages are redirects

since we have already hijacked this thread...whats with the searchclix?