I have several concerns about adding a 2k server to an existing NT4 domain. I want to devise a strategy to move to 2k permanently, but with zero down time, and a seamless migration. I am struggling with a limited budget, so I can’t go full steam, and we need a more powerful fileserver now. I don’t want to waist time installing NT4 on the new server, then upgrading to 2k later, this presents the possibility of too much down time.

The NT4 PDC will not support win2k therefore an upgrade is impossible. A BDC is, but would need to be promoted first. The problem is, before the first upgrade into Active Directory, I would need to add the new 2k server as a member server to the existing NT4 domain for basic file shares. Future intentions would be to maintain the same shares on this new server, and run Dcpromo following the upgrade of the promoted BDC to 2k…

The domain will not change names unless I have to. In this case I could install a second domain and migrate things over; but I want to avoid that for several reasons, problems primarily focused on the budget.

CAL’s for the 2000 server: I am setup for per seat in the NT4 domain, with plenty of licenses for my current users. However if I add a 2k server, will it fall under the same licenses, or do I need to purchase an equal amount of 2k CAL’s? I would presume that the 2k CAL’s are not required until the Domain is upgraded (or added), but I can’t find any documentation to conclude that. When it comes time to upgrade the domain, I wish to purchase an additional server license for the promoted BDC, and the appropriate number of CAL’s, however it may be several months from when I get a new server, to when I upgrade the domain. I need to protect myself without spending any additional money up front. This is a deal breaker, because if I have to go overboard on licensing, I lose the budget for the server. My intentions are to get this beast in the building immediately, then over the next few months work out the budget with management for the additional software purchases, and perform the migration.