Strategy, How To: add 2k server to NT4 domain, upgrade domain later. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Strategy, How To: add 2k server to NT4 domain, upgrade domain later.

Re:I don't think that is the same thing...

I think he's getting confus-ed about per seat & per server CALs... of course windows 2000 server comes with a CAL, just one though unless you pay for more...

... Let me see I pay a s/w licence for my client software & another for my server s/w then I get to pay again for the two to talk to each other, then when my s/w goes out of date because it isn't supported I get to pay the whole lot again !

MS, I think, deliberatly makes statements that are confusing. I had to re-read the article a couple times before it made any sense to me...

As I said before, I am thinking about doing a similar network upgrade, so I'm just brainstorming with you on this. I don't know all the particulars of your network, like what the 4 existing servers actually do (apps servers, file servers, ...). I do know a change from an NT domain to W2K's AD is significant, much more so than just a server OS upgrade. I think you need to look at the problem more from this perspective because it may suggest changes in your entire infrastructure.

If you were to go the new W2K domain route, I would not worry about integrating it at all with the existing domain (don't worry about 2-way trust). Document your servers as they are now and configure the new DC in isolation using that documentation. I can't imagine more than a couple of days work to recreate the PDC configuration on the W2K DC. Then test the DC with representative clients to make sure it's working the way you want. This configuration and testing can be done without the pressures of having to keep the network up and running.

Then I would look at the rest of the network, specifically the other servers. Do you need all 4 of the servers in the new network, should they be W2K or NT, what functions will they have. If the hardware config's are similar, consider imaging a standard server and cloning it to the other machines.

I would keep the existing network up and running like it is until I felt confident that the new domain works correctly. Over a weekend you can image 1 or 2 of the existing servers into the new domain and configure them for their new rolls. Configure and add the remaining servers as you get them working.

I don't know if you inherited your current network, or built it from scratch yourself. Either way though, this method allows you to take your time to get the project done right and to throw out any garbage in the old network.

To me, an NT to W2K upgrade and DC promo seems like a quick-and-dirty solution. If it is at all possible, I would start over from scratch and do it right.

Originally posted by Ya_know
    I don't think that is the same thing...Where did you see that though?
    It was terminal services. 2000 Pro and XP don't require a Terminal Services CAL. 2000 Server CALs are only about $33/seat though..
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Originally posted by silencio
    It was terminal services. 2000 Pro and XP don't require a Terminal Services CAL. 2000 Server CALs are only about $33/seat though..
    $33 a seat isn't bad, if you only need 2 seats. But the more people you have the worse it gets. Especially when the amount that I need is equal to one quarter the cost of the server that I am looking at. If I could walk into a meeting with management I can sell a $7-8k server. A 10k server is a much harder sell...that is my whole dilemma. I personally don't give a damn how much we spend, if we lease or buy, but I can’t get my toys without the green light. That is why I have to look for a freebee somewhere.

As far as the TS licensing for the 2kpro and Xppro, can you provide a link that documents that? I have never hear that before…

Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Originally posted by silencio
    Terminal Service / 2000 CAL not required.

Toys are nice.
    Very cool...I thank you for that tidbit!

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    The problem is that your first 2000 domain controller has to be installed on an NT4 PDC. The only way around this is migration to a new domain. Also, you can get almost zero downtime if you take a BDC offline, promote it, install 2000 (dcpromo is automatically launched on a PDC install), then bring the NT4 PDC offline (demote) while you bring the new 2000 DC online. If it's planned correctly (dns, wins, etc issues) the only downtime you'll have is the amount of time it takes to plug in your network cable.
    I believe you have the two turned around. To migrate properly, you must promote the BDC and pull the PDC off line. Then you upgrade the (now) PDC to Win2K.

But you are absolutely correct, it's the ony way it can be done with out migrating to a whole new domain.

Hey Ya_know: it's been a year and a half, have your 'fix" yet?
    Silencio: take that advice yet?
    Hey, wait: where's freddy been lately????