IIS question

Thread: IIS question

IIS question

Do the accounts IUSR and IWAM have to be enabled for people to see your webpage?

the short answer, yes. if the iusr account is the one being used to authenticate anonymous access it needs to be enabled. if you are using someother account to do this then no. the iwam account is used to make certain processes in IIS work and in general should be left alone. if you want to spend all your days and nights figuring out why say, ASP is not working then disable the IWAM account. to mention just one.
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

Thank you, I did notice after disabling the IUSR account no one could get into my webpage but I have the IWAM disabled and haven't noticed anything yet.

Here is exactly what the iwam account does for future reference when things don't work as exspected. I still suggest you turn it back on.

"Web application account used to run out-of-process applications. If this account is disabled or locked out, out-of-process applications will not be able to start"

In IIS 5 this is very important to understand because you can set up sites and apps to run out of process. This is a good thing because it prevents apps from walking all over each other or if an app fails it doesn't take everything else with it.
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"