installing mandrake 9.0

Thread: installing mandrake 9.0

Unhappy installing mandrake 9.0

decided to give linux a try. And from reading you forum decided to go with mandrake 9.0. I use system commander deluxe to run 98 and winxp pro. I had set up 3 primary. one for 98 one for xp pro and the third one was for mandrake.

Booted from the cd that I downloaded and installed. The install went with no problems( although i wasn't sure which options to choose so took the defaults).

When I finished the install rebooted and it can't be found anywhere. Checked and it made an extended partition and installed itslelf there.

I can't get it to do a regular install and go in the primary partion. Anyway I installed it several times but I can never access it. Gonna call system commander and see if they have any problems getting it installed.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Charlie
    Last edited by charlescpc; December 23rd, 2002 at 06:15 AM.

Registered User Dark Millennium's Avatar
    My experience has been that you won't be able to see the Linux Partition. It uses a file system completely different from that of Windows so Windows can't detect it (lousy Microsoft), (I haven't had much luck with fdisk either).

That would be why you can't see it. As to the extended partition are you sure about that. I use Red Hat which mandrake is based on and it also states there is an extended partition, (usually for root), but when cheking it it says its a primary, (prob a software prob).

So... my advice would be to reinstall Mandrake, (make sure its the last one on), use a bootloader (I believe lilo and grub are choices with grub usually being the default at least on Red Hat). Then make a boot disk, (it should pop up towards the end of the installtion). Then when the system boots up the bootloader should pick it up along with you Windows partitions. If not try the bootdisk.

Let us know how it turns out
    The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of you coffee.
    (Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel)

If a program is useful, it will have to be changed.
    (Laws of Computer Programming, III)

Thanx to Adept for the Avatar

Talking thanks for the prompt reply

Thanks that makes sence. Will try it and see if i can get it to work. Would like to use LInux as my main operating system.
    May have to get a manual or get some reasearch on linux cause I'm not at all familiar with it. Will check into it and see how how to make a boot disk for it. You put me in the right direction now I'll try and get it going thanks.

No Problem

Just remember, the install should prompt you if you want to make a boostdisk, (usually pop up towards the end of a linux install for Red Hat and Mandrake 8.2). Bootloaders are also usually automatically installed by default but from what you tell me it doesn't appear to have been installed.

Well happy hunting and have fun with Linux

Happy Holidays
    The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of you coffee.

Thumbs up Happy Camper

Hey guess what it's working now........
    Thanks for the info...
    here's what i did.
    reloaded mandrake but no options to make boot disk.
    Deleted partion and started again
    reloaded mandrake in EXPERT mode..
    It asks you about everything. Then i got an option to make a boot disk and made it. Evidently they have rescue stuff built in the cd and don't think you need it....

Loaded everything.. Went to reboot and I got to see the desktop for the first time..

Rebooted and was ready to have to use the boot disk but Mandrake come up with it on menu system ( i was using sytem commander and didnt like it much). So now I have the options to go to the other operating systems through the mandrake menus.

The only negative thing so far is I used an option for my video card(Nvidia tnt) for 3d. Said it might lock up the system and does. I have got to find out how to change it back.

It didn't configure my dsl. Told me to download a file and put it in a lib and then it should work.

Thanks again for the info.

in the /etc folder ther is a XFree86.cfg file that you can edit in console mode with VI. (a text editor)

Do a goolge search on VI for Linux before using it as it has some strange commands. Then just follow the XFree86 insturctions in the file to modify you video config for the GUI.

Otherwise if you go to the XFree web site you can see how to re-run just the xfree setup from the console. Then let the nvidia install do the rest for you.
    You know you want a crabby patty!!

What spongebob said..........

you can edit the file or use the shell proggy

type this at the command prompt:

xf86config