opening folder gives source code instead of files

Thread: opening folder gives source code instead of files

Angry opening folder gives source code instead of files

Users computer (running Win2k sp3) has this crazy problem. When he clicks on the My pictures folder, it does not open and display a list of his files. Instead, it opens the source code (as if I had clicked view source) for the folder. I cant place any files there or view any files in the folder (there probably are not any but this is weird).

At the same time, he is having another problem I thought might be related. He could not enable Active Desktop. The feature was grayed out. I installed TweakUI and now Active Desktop is enabled, but he still cannot save web content as desktop item.

I do not know if these 2 problems stem from the same issue or not, but I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

What is the "source code" you see? Is it like this:

[ExtShellFolderViews]
    Default={8BEBB290-52D0-11D0-B7F4-00C04FD706EC}
    {8BEBB290-52D0-11D0-B7F4-00C04FD706EC}={8BEBB290-52D0-11D0-B7F4-00C04FD706EC}
    {5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}={5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}
    [{5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}]
    WebViewTemplate.NT5=%WebDir%\ImgView.htt
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    InfoTip=Stores your pictures
    IconFile=%SystemRoot%\System32\mydocs.dll
    IconIndex=-101
    ConfirmFileOp=0

If so, possible reason is you are viewing the desktop.ini file in My Pictures. The way I created this problem was by viewing My Pictures (W2K o/s) in my Documents tyhorugh Internet Explorer - it too doesn't show folder content that is accessible through normal Folder View.

Don't know if this helps...

Good Luck

I just checked - the source code is not the desktop.ini it is the source code as though it was a website and I clicked view source. It shows as html code with javascript. I cannot even copy and paste it.

Oh Dear!

I would suggest checking under Tools>Folder Options and change from "Enable Web content in folders" to "Use classic windows settings" and see if that helps.

It sounds like the problems you originally stated could be connected. Might be worth checking if you have IE6, and if so do you have the latest service packs?

Sorry can't help more now - please let us know how you get on, especially if you fix the problem. We're just leaving for Christmas/New Year. I note you are in Israel, so I wish you peace over this Christian festival, and whatever you would wish yourself.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Lowland; December 24th, 2002 at 07:51 AM.