HP Pavilion XT963 and ATI vid card - help!

Thread: HP Pavilion XT963 and ATI vid card - help!

HP Pavilion XT963 and ATI vid card - help!

Greetings all,

I am trying to install an ATI Radeon PCI graphics card in this HP Pavilion XT963 machine.

I switched the display to PCI in the BIOS. When I go to disable the onboard video, the only option it gives me are these:

512K video
    1 MB video

The help bar to the right tells that "you can disable the onboard video by selecting disable..." its not in the choices!

Anyway, when I put the card in and boot the machine, it hangs on the blue HP screen and locks up.

Any suggestions?

Looked for a BIOS upgrade, but can't find one....

Thanks,

Al

From the HP FAQ

Disabling the On-Board Video to Install a Video Card. Many HP Pavilions come with the video on the computer's main board. If the HP Pavilion uses the i815 chipset, then use the link above for special instructions (the linked document lists the HP Pavilions with the i815 chipset). For all other HP Pavilions, the on-board video needs to be disabled in either the BIOS or by changing a jumper on the main board. Go to HP's Search Support Page, type Pavilion followed by the actual model number and type BIOS Setup. If information on disabling the on-board video is not in any of the BIOS setup documents, then go back to HP's Search Support Page and search on Jumper Settings.
    You have the 810 chipset. I could not find anything useful under bios settings or jumpers.... other than it insisting that there is a disable option by pressing the down arrow key.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    .... I could not find anything useful under bios settings or jumpers.... other than it insisting that there is a disable option by pressing the down arrow key.
    Here (HP support) says there are some jumpers .... have a looksee!

Confus-ed thats the Asus Motherboard with the 440 ZX chipset... not the i810. This probably the board he has in it
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Arrow Okay if there's no 'off'

Thanks HP search for returning such an acurrate link - sorry my 'bad' !

I think if the options not in bios (having flashed it) then search about on the board, there's usually a jumper somewheres even though it might not say...

But if not is there, is there a problem with having two 'enabled' VGA PCI cards? Once you tell windoze to ignore the onboard...?

Re: Okay if there's no 'off'

Originally posted by confus-ed
    Thanks HP search for returning such an acurrate link - sorry my 'bad' !

I think if the options not in bios (having flashed it) then search about on the board, there's usually a jumper somewheres even though it might not say...

But if not is there, is there a problem with having two 'enabled' VGA PCI cards? Once you tell windoze to ignore the onboard...?
    Yes...

Originally posted by jakkwb
    Anyway, when I put the card in and boot the machine, it hangs on the blue HP screen and locks up.
    /me hands confus-ed his coffee

Talking Argggggggggggggh! (read the post....!)

Never mind coffee, I think I need something stronger ....! (where's the shakes his head icon? )....

Post up the motherboard ID string then & lets see if we can make some progress that way ... as HP (and me at the moment!) are no use whatsoever.....