cannot access cd drive

Thread: cannot access cd drive

cannot access cd drive

hey there

i was wondering if anyone could help. when i try to access my cd rom drive a message comes up saying

E:\ is not accessible the device is not ready

i put a cd in the drive which had a big sticker on the back and the drive made a crunching sound, i took the cd out with the sticker still stuck to the back of it but everytime i try to run a cd i get this mesage come up

does anyone know how to fix this problem?

i would be grateful for any help

I think you will find you have ruined the drive, or rather the sticker did. Did you get all the sticker out? Have you attempted to use a cd cleaner?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

yea it was one of those security stickers that some idiot in Game had stuck on the cd. none of it is in the drive still, it still opens and closes fine, it just doesn't access the cd, even when i try to open it manually.
    its not even my computer thats the problem!!

Time to apologise... fortunately new cdroms are not expensive. The sticker may have damaged just about any of the components.

By the way, how do you know you have removed ALL the sticker?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

the sticker was one of those security stickers with the metal inside so the alarm goes off if you leave the store without paying. Its got a barcode on the top and none of that had been taken off. Also i had problems getting the thing off without damaging the cd it was so strongly stuck on so i'm almost 100% sure none of it has come off. my only thinking is that it may have scratched the lens or something, i'll try getting a cd drive cleaner tommorrow see if that does anything. i just didn't know if it was something i could fix through the computer. If none of that works i'll just have to get a whole new drive and try to fit it before the owner gets back!
    thanks for your help

I just want to know who the idiot was that put the sticker on the cd in the first place. Don't those security devices get screwed up when they are near a strong magnetic field...likethe one emitted by a spinning motor?
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

i guess the security tag was just chucked in the box and whilst in transit it must have stuck to the back of the cd. Stupidly i didn't even look at the back first, i just took the wrapping off, opened the box and inserted the cd, oh well...