false recording speed?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: false recording speed?

false recording speed?

Here's my doubt:

I've just bought an LG HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B recorder that was suposed to record at 48x,I've seen some test that say that the recording time of a full cd was around +\- 3 minutes ,but when I burn a cd with my PC it takes around 7\8 minute.I've check the burning software (Nero)config and it says that the cd was burned at 48x at 7,200Kbs-sec ,but in fact it took 8 minutes ,I don'thave simulation enable or the verifying data .The cd's suport 50x writing (at least it saied so in the cover),so I don't realise the problem .Is it my motherboard the bottleneck?I run Win XP Pro with SP1in a

Assus A7V333(without raid) with a 2000+,
    512DDR 333,
    MSI Gforce4 TI4200 ,
    In the IDE's controlers I have :Primary master :IBM 80gb ,
    Primary Slave :LG 52x cd reader,
    Secundary Master LG HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B
    ,secundary slave a Hitashi DVD-Rom

Can someone help me in this matter?Are this recording times normal?

Thanks
    The Flying Pig

I want to burn realy fast

You could get a slowdown when burnproof is activated or if you're collecting files over a network.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

I'm burning cd 2 cd , But Il'll try to turn the underbufer off.

Thanks

The same thing ,meanwhile I'll try do take off the others IDE periferics and just leave the HD and the cd recorder .

Burning CD to CD is always slow.

What speed is your media rated for?

Smile

you will never copy at 48x no matter what pc you have,you can come close to this if you are burning a image file from your hdd,but never copying cd to cd
    clauded

The cd's I'm using now say 52x.

maybe I was tricked by advertising,it was long time without buying this kind of hardware ,my previous was an 4x ..... but I might continue my quest for for speed burning if anyone have some tips I would apreciate Thakx for the info

Join the Club!

I recently purchased a 48x40x12 CDRW. However it never burns at 40x. It burns at all sorts of speeds, regardless of speed of my media.

Sometimes it burns at 32x, sometimes at 12x, 8x and even 2x.

I have resolved to leave it alone as long as it gets the job done. If I manually set the speed at 40x I wind up with coasters. So I just set the speed for whatever Nero wants to set it for.

I agree with you it is fustrating. You spend extra money for a fast recorder and find out something different once you get it home.

Good Luck,
    Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Interesting, you have the 52x cd rom on an ata100/133 controller, presumably connected with an 80 wire ata cable...Cdroms do not usually like this.

If you create an image for the copy, rather than copying on the fly, does the burnspeed get any better? It should be much faster... if it isn't, I would suggest that having the cdrom on the ata cable is causing the problem.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Just some things to look into:

1. Do you have "verify after burn" enabled? This could almost double the burn time in some instances.
    2. Are both you CD drives connected to the same IDE cable/controller on your motherboard? That could also lead to some lag.
    3. What speed is your (regular) CD drive? The time your system reads the original CD is a factor in how long the overall process will take.

Check out your log after you've completed a burn to see exactly how long each step takes. That might give you a few clues as to what may be slowing things down.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Also, in cd-to-cd, leave underrun protection on. If there is a flaw in your source and your regular cd-rom has to re-read, you may get a coaster.
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

About the cables I'm going to check that out ,I'm using the ones that came with the HD and the drives.I think they are 80 wire ata cable but I can't be sure .In that case what should I do NooNoo?

1-Idon't have the verify after... enabled
    2-no the devices are on diferent cables(cd rom on primary slave , cd burner on secundary master)

3-My regular drive is an LG 52x

4-in the log what takes 98% of the time is the actual burning

I just turn the underrun protection off to try to see if it as anything to do with it.

Thanks to you all guy's

:

I have a very similar setup and have never encountered delays such as this.

My LG 52x is hooked up to the secondary IDE controller as master, while my LG 32x burner (8320B) is master on the primary. All my hard disks are on a Promise controller. The motherboard is an Asus P2B, so we're not talking lightning speeds here. Windows XP SP1 is also the OS.

I'm stumped...
    Last edited by a d e p t; January 5th, 2003 at 05:59 PM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I've checked my system and realise that I was using a 40 wire cable (shame on me),I was conviced that in the new systems all cables were 80 wire ....I got one 80 wire cable and I waiting for another one to put both at the same time.But NooNoo sayed " presumably connected with an 80 wire ata cable...Cdroms do not usually like this.." .Why ? Aren't this cables the best,fastest ? I 'm confused

Where's platypus and confus-ed when you need em.??

I am not terribly good with the really technical details, its about dma and pio and ata and arrgh my head hurts...

When you buy a cdrom it comes with a standard 40 wire ide cable. It isn't designed to use ata66 and above.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."