multiple users

Thread: multiple users

multiple users

Is there a place I can go to to see how I set up different rights for users in 2000 pro. I am trying to help a friend set up different log ins to, for example not let one user have use of internet explorer, while another user logs in and can go on line but not d-load anything. I have searched throught the user and password section in control panel and have only confused myself!

Go here and read the last 3 faqs... hopefully it will unconfuse you.. What there won't be is a panacea.. Not allowing a user to download anything will tricky, since to even read a page you must download it first.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hey Noo-Noo

The page you sent me is a blank search page! I have searched but obviously don't know the right wording for a search

try this instead

dunno where that other went... oh well, twas not as coherent as the wown anyway
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks Noo-Noo that did clear up a bit but it does look as I won't be able to stop one user from accessing the internet.

There is a program - lansuite 602 I think that allows you to configure internet usage on a user basis... http://www.software602.com/

Thanks NooNoo,

That's a really valuable piece of software, just what I needed.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

Originally posted by asm481
    Thanks Noo-Noo that did clear up a bit but it does look as I won't be able to stop one user from accessing the internet.
    If everyone is using Internet Explorer, then you should be able to deny access to the internet for a user through the Local Group Policy editor.
    One way would be to set the Internet Explorer settings on a per user or group basis. - Under the connections tab in the properties settings goto "Lan Settings" check the proxy settings and change the address to a "fake location" such as 10.0.0.1
    Then using the Group Policy Editor - hide the connections tab - don't forget to do the same in the control panel.

Look here for more information:

HOW TO: Apply Local Policies to all Users Except Administrators on Windows 2000 in a Workgroup Setting

HOW TO: Set Advanced Settings In Internet Explorer by Using Group Policy Objects

Importing Internet Explorer Settings May Affect Other Policies
    Last edited by Poseidon; January 17th, 2003 at 03:57 PM.
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Here is more information on changing the Internet Proxy settings for mutliple users:

Winguides - Internet Proxy Settings

Internet Restrictions
    Last edited by Poseidon; January 19th, 2003 at 09:29 PM.
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!