Gateway Nightmare Neverending

Thread: Gateway Nightmare Neverending

Gateway Nightmare Neverending

Heres the Predicament, hoping someone in here might have some thoughts, I have a gateway pc in the shop right now that is an AMD 1100. The computer when it was brought in wouldnt power up, all it would do when you hit the power button is the power light on the front would turn on with a green light and just stay on, no fans no nothing else. So first thing I check is the power supply, sure enough a new power supply makes it power up, EXCEPT for no video no post no nothing. So I do some obvious trouble shooting, even try a pci video card, nothing, pull video card and memory no beeps whatsoever. So after pulling my hair out I call up gateway (I know I know) we determine its got to be the motherboard. So they send me a new motherboard. I put it in with only minimal items, ie.. video card etc.. and again same thing nothing, board powers, hard drive spins, but nothing else, pull video and memory again NO BEEPS, am I so lucky as to of had a new motherboard sent to me bad as well, its an MSI MS-6330 board in the system. Any Help is greatly appreciated, I should also note that I called gateway back and a 2nd new board is on its way. Just doesnt make any sense at all, nothing hooked to the board at all and it should at least beep with no memory or video card in it, I also just for giggle reseated the processor and fan.

The new board was built with the old or a new psu?

Did you try building it out of the case?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

try swapping the cpu or check to make sure the correct cpu is being detected, not just type but core voltage, etc...
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

I should have noted that the new motherboard they sent came with new memory and processor and heatsink/fan. So kinda eliminates those items. I have a brand new power supply in the system, I did try another power supply with the same results.

Again, did you try building it outside the case on an antistatic bag?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i'd sau grounding fault, have you tried the components seperatly, ie video card and such like
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Lightbulb

Try reseting the bios with the jumper on the motherboard, sometime GW updates the bios just before they ship replacment boards, and if the board doesn't cycle right after the flash the bios will hang. I had seen this in P3 boards, maybe the same on AMD. Of course I have also received DOA boards from Gateway in the past.

There is a know issue with the Oxnard motherboard that gateway uses. (the motherboard on their AMD systems) look on the motherboard at the green capacitors and see that they are rounded over on the top instead of flat. That means that they are bad and that is what is causeing your issues. replace the motherboard.
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way. ---Pink Floyd

I kinda get the feeling that there is a known issue with this board as previously stated, I appreciate all your help and will post back as soon as I put in the NEW second board they just sent me.

Originally posted by Backspace
    I kinda get the feeling that there is a known issue with this board as previously stated, I appreciate all your help and will post back as soon as I put in the NEW second board they just sent me.
    You will notice that the old board with the bloated caps look like this: (+) the new caps will have a different design on the top of them. Please note that this is not just a Gateway issue but is an industry wide issue with those caps. If you have any other issues with your Gateway system PM me and I'll see what I can do.
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way. ---Pink Floyd

Underfunded, you were exactly correct, the second new board they sent me worked like a charm and one of the caps on the first new board was indeed rounded somewhat on top instead of flat like the others on the board. Thanks for everyones help, the problem is solved.

No problem, Glad I could help.

Originally posted by storm
    try swapping the cpu or check to make sure the correct cpu is being detected, not just type but core voltage, etc...
    I agree. It could be a dead CPU.

TL

TechLarry, it was solved, it was the motherboard....