No Sound!

Thread: No Sound!

No Sound!

hey all,
    I'm very new to all this. Okay, here are my specs:

1.2GHz AMD athlon processor
    128MB SDRAM memory
    60.0GB Ultra DMA hard drive

I have just reformatted my drive C, so everything should be fine you would think, nope. Well, all is well except i have no sound coming from my speakers. The thing is i looked on the DEVICE manager and there is no label of SOUND, MULTIMEDIA and GAME CONTROLLERS as there should be. There is a sound card installed, i just don't know what kind it is, can anyone give me info on how to find out what type of sound card i have, i've been looking through every single damn manual,i guess i must've lost it consdiering i've had this computer for a good 3 years. either way, i've tried ADD NEW HARDWARE from the control panel, and nada. before i reformatted, i saw that my device was a CRYSTAL WDM audio, now there is nothing. and even when i restart windows does not find new hardware such as a sound card, i mean its right there in the computer, i dont know where else it could've run off to. can someone please help me? thanks
    peace
    m.l

you can try downloading HWINFO32 installing it and running it to show you hardware in your system. then it is a matter of searching for the correct driver. if the audio is a add-on card you can open the case and take a look to see what labels mite be on the card, but if the audio is built into the motherboard you will need to know the maker of the motherboard. HWINFO32 will tell you all this and more. let us know what you find out and we can help you find the rite driver.

Windows Plug and Play is not detecting your sound device for some reason. There could be a couple of reasons for this.

1. If it's an on-board sound device it could be disabled in the BIOS.

2. If it's a PCI or ISA card it may need to be re-seated or the card itself may be dead. It's also possible the device is not Plug and Play and needs to be manually added, but I highly doubt that's the case.

My money's on #1. Do you know how to access the BIOS on your PC?
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

wow, thanks for teh response so far.
    mrwillhelm, no sir idont know how to acces the bios on my system.

geeks, thank you for the link, i will try right now.

i will post results after i try all that, thanks guys!!
    peace
    m.l

oh ya!
    how do i find the best driver suitable for my system? is it on the ADD NEW HARDWARE option?
    thnks
    peace
    m.l

When you have the hwinfo, post it back here, one of us will find you a driver.

To get into your bios setup, that depends on whether its a compaq or not...

however, most machines press the DEL key when its counting RAM

If you need talking through it live, drop in the chatroom.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

k, im' gonna post a pic...

nevermind, its too big. here is waht i got tho:

MOTHERBOARD MODEL:
    MOtherboard Chipset: VIA VT 8363A KT133A
    Motherboard Slots: 0xPCI, 0xISA, 1xAGP v2.0

Computer Name: Unknown
    Machine Type: IBM PC AT

BIOS Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies
    Bios Date: 03/01/01

ok, i hope this helps, thanks all for helping me out so far, u're all wonderful.

NooNoo,.wat do u mean by pressing the DEL key when "counting ram?" sorry i'm really new at this, thanks for helping me tho,
    peace
    m.l

OK...

Is this computer branded? Compaq, HP, IBM?

That is a very weird output from belarc, it says you have no pci or isa slots!

Another giveway - phoenix bios -- only used by complete system manufacturers... and laptops.

What brand and what is the model and series... should be on the label at the back.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

What NooNoo means about the memory counting is this;

When you turn on the computer, what you will usually see is a black screen with some white text on it listing a bunch of stuff. This is the time that memory does it's counting. The location of the memory count on the screen depends on the manufacturer of the computer, but it is usually located in the upper middle to upper corners of the screen. Look for a large number with KB after it e.g. 256000KB.

Now during this time that the memory counts, somewhere else on the screen should be a message that says PRESS ** TO ENTER SETUP. ** being the key that it wants you to press. F1, DELETE, F2 and some key combos are the well known keys that are used to get into the setup. If you have an IBM, I think it is F1.

Some computers will only show the memory count and the PRESS ** TO ENTER SETUP message when you cold boot the computer. That is when it is turned off, and then turned back on.

Good luck!
    U.S. out of U.N.

Originally posted by Jediab
    F1, DELETE, F2 and some key combos are the well known keys that are used to get into the setup. If you have an IBM, I think it is F1.
    You forgot the biggie...

With Compaqs it's F10. I may be wrong too, but I don't think Compaqs show the memory test. I'm pretty sure it's covered up by the splash screen.
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

I had a good look around the web for a solution to this problem and found a LOT of posts on various sites mentioning the Crystal Audio WDM sound device and exactly the problems you are having. I found no solutions out there by anybody. The closest I found was on Dells support site which said that the registry was not holding the information so reformat your drive and re-install the operating system!!!!!

In other words, it might be a great idea to bite the bullet on this one and buy yourself a good stable sound card, they are very cheap. Make sure it's fully supported by XP and sound shall be yours

Forgot to post the links I was looking at, here they are, the last one is from Dell saying to reformat!!

Here
    Here
    Here
    Here
    Here
    Here
    and lastly here.

Originally posted by NooNoo
    ....That is a very weird output from belarc, it says you have no pci or isa slots!....
    I don't think hwinfo32 always works !? but you can try unplugging your k/b and booting usually this stops the machine after post but before boot ... there ought to be a big long string of characters/numbers in the bottom left of the screen something like - '51-0102-zz5123-00111111-101094-AMIS123-P ' - different types of BIOS have different kinds of strings ....

From motherboards.org "What Does a BIOS String ID Look Like?
    AMI

51-0102-zz5123-00111111-101094-AMIS123-P
    This indicates a motherboard with BIOS from 1991 to Present
    The bold numbers are the portion that identify the manufacturer
    AMI

DINT-1123-04990-K8
    This indicates a motherboard with BIOS from 1986 - 1990
    The bold numbers are the portion that identify the manufacturer
    AWARD

2A5LEF09C-00
    Characters 1-5 ID the Chipset, in this case 2A5LE is the Via 597VP3 chipset.
    Characters 6-7 ID the manufacturer, in this case F0 is FIC.
    The bold numbers are the portion that identify the manufacturer"

I think re-formatting for the want of a sound driver seems pretty daft ... ain't that what got him in this mess in the first place !!???

BUT nobody asked if there where any 'unidentified/unrecognised' devices in device manager did they ...? So are there ?