ADSL internet sharing on win 98se

Thread: ADSL internet sharing on win 98se

ADSL internet sharing on win 98se

i just ordered adsl from earthlink.net and it comes with an adsl modem that has an ethernet port that i am supposed to connect to a nic in my computer. my question is can i put the cord from the dsl modem into a simple 5-port linksys ethernet hub and share the internet connection amongst other computers? i am using win 98se. also i do not have a static IP if that matters. do i need any special software to do this?

thanks for your help,
    --jeff
    a stitch in time, saves nine.
    --winston churchill

Re: ADSL internet sharing on win 98se

Originally posted by moonduck22
    i just ordered adsl from earthlink.net and it comes with an adsl modem that has an ethernet port that i am supposed to connect to a nic in my computer. my question is can i put the cord from the dsl modem into a simple 5-port linksys ethernet hub and share the internet connection amongst other computers? i am using win 98se. also i do not have a static IP if that matters. do i need any special software to do this?

thanks for your help,
    --jeff
    Maybe. If you get more than one dynamic (or static for that matter) ip addressess then yes this will work. If you are only allowed one then no it will not work. The easiest way would be to get a soho router/gateway. They are very cheap now days (less then 50 bucks at bestbuy). The next easiest way would be to purchase a second NIC and install it in one of the computers and then use ICS to share the connection with the rest of the computers on the network.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Arrow can't plug into a hub

you can't plug that into the hub, but you can get a soho router/gateway...linksys, makes a wonderfull one with a built in firewall that you will need to get a s you are broadband...

here's the upside of doing it thru the router/gateway/firewall, don't need to keep a machine up all the time, with out glitches
    don't need pesky updates to keep it running at tip top state...won't write into us with how do i use ICS...

downside, it's more expensive then buying a second nic (less then 20$), putting it into the maine computer and share it out (ICS)

so even though i don't use it...spend the cash and get the router/gateway.
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

cool

i guess i better go for the router/switcher. you say that the router comes with a built in firewall, which i am aware of. does that mean that the kit that earthlink sent me does not have a built in firewall and thus if i pluged it directly into my computer i would be completely unprotected?! also, is the firewall on the router adjustable? i am somewhat concerned with not being able to host online games, which seems to be a common problem with firewalls.

thanks for the info
    --jeff
    a stitch in time, saves nine.
    --winston churchill

To be able to answer the last couple of questions, we would need the model of the adsl modem.... although I am sure someone either has one or knows what it should be.

Hosting games online is a whole can of worms... configuring the firewall to let in the people you want can be frustrating but it is a learning process.

The bigger barrier maybe your ISP ALLOWING you to host games. The will often block ports that users need to connect, and if you get round it and they find out, will terminate your contract. Check through the terms of service (TOS) very carefully before attempting to host an online game.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."