Lo-Jack ???
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lo-Jack ???

Question Lo-Jack ???

hummm...

Well Im getting Lo-Jack installed on my WRX right at this moment jan 9, 2003 @ 8:38 AM Pacific time

Thing is I givein the guy my keys and he is out side working on my car in the parking lot of my work. I go out there cause 1) I dont trust anyone and 2) I just wanted to see how things were going.

I asked him were the lo-jack will be and what I need to do after its installed, and he basicly keeps me out saying Im not supposed to know and he cant contenue unless I leave.

hummm Have anyone else had lo-jack installed? was it like this for you?

I mean Im paying for the thing and it is my car....

hummmm

[/rant]

I looked into getting Lo Jack for my car when I bought it. It is true, they are not supposed to tell you where it is. Nobody but the installers are supposed to know where the Lo Jack is so that it can't be circumvented.
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way. ---Pink Floyd

Originally posted by underfunded
    I looked into getting Lo Jack for my car when I bought it. It is true, they are not supposed to tell you where it is. Nobody but the installers are supposed to know where the Lo Jack is so that it can't be circumvented.
    That is a matter of fact. The thing is, from one model car to another, there are really only a handful of places that it will be installed, but these locations differ from car to car. The reason is so that professional thieves won't be able to determine if the car was low jacked, unless they actually find the module. This becomes harder when they don’t know where to look

It makes sense. They also should have told you this over the phone when they made the installation appointment with you...

If its yer car you got the right to know.

lo jack is bullsh!t. it won't stop someone from breaking ur window and stealing ur stereo, it won't even make a peep.

if i were you i'd get a good alarm with a kill switch, and have a good install wire it up.

another trick is to replace all wires with the same color. it'll SUCK if you ever have to troubleshoot it, but if they're all the same color the thief won't know which one to hotwire.
    You are born small and you die small. How you are in between is up to you.

Originally posted by Spawn_X
    If its yer car you got the right to know.

lo jack is bullsh!t. it won't stop someone from breaking ur window and stealing ur stereo, it won't even make a peep.

if i were you i'd get a good alarm with a kill switch, and have a good install wire it up.

another trick is to replace all wires with the same color. it'll SUCK if you ever have to troubleshoot it, but if they're all the same color the thief won't know which one to hotwire.
    yes but lets say they steal the car how are you going to get it baclk? and if in one place?

lo-jack is only a beacon

If someone breakes into the car, steals the radio etc.. thast what insurance is for

so lets see, by the time you wake up or whatever and realise your car is gone, the car will be god knows where already stripped for parts.

its just my opinion.. i would never get lojack in my life.

wanna know what i'm getting once I get some money?

2 sirens with an internal battery.

once the siren goes on, its STAYING on until I disable it with a KEY.

on top of that you can't really hotwire my car. if the alarm is enabled, you can't even start the car with the key.

viper ESP 550 if anyone's curious.

so lets see, by the time you wake up or whatever and realise your car is gone, the car will be god knows where already stripped for parts.

on top of that you can't really hotwire my car. if the alarm is enabled, you can't even start the car with the key.

viper ESP 550 if anyone's curious.
    reason why I never got a alarm that hionks the horn is NO ONE CARES! lol

just waste of battery to me.

plus I have gap insurance where it pays off the car if the car is gone.. Like I said Insurance covers everything

obviously you're not in los angeles. =)

obviously you're not in los angeles. =)
    hahah nope only 30 mins away

compton is worst than LA

Ah.. I said "you must not live in LA" for 2 reasons.

1 noone would pay attention.. I live up in the valley / glendale, so people pay some sort of attention.

2nd. insurance companies here suck

2 much headache with full coverage IMO - and not worth the price.

Ah.. I said "you must not live in LA" for 2 reasons.

1 noone would pay attention.. I live up in the valley / glendale, so people pay some sort of attention.

2nd. insurance companies here suck

2 much headache with full coverage IMO - and not worth the price.
    humm insurance companie(s) should be the same wierd

like lets say I move to LA all my insurance well be the same..

My car insurance is going thru Gieco

oh well, The only car alarm thing I see is good is a fuel or coil shut off. I have this on my 1976 fors ranchero. I just pull a chip and the ciols and fuel is disconnected.

Though Lo-Jack was very cheap I got it, and lets say someone stills it, I call the po-po and they activate the becean. Most car theives still the car then leave it somewhere over night before the take the car incase theres a lo-jack... hehe most of the time.

but still I just cant stand car alarms

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

Re: Lo-Jack ???

Originally posted by +Daemon+
    I asked him were the lo-jack will be and what I need to do after its installed, and he basicly keeps me out saying Im not supposed to know and he cant contenue unless I leave.
    Heh - dude sounds like me when I'm working on a puter.

As for car security, I have 3 methods:

Overnight in a dodgy area: Swap two leads around. They can start it. They can drive it. You can hear them a mile off, and it'll take all day for em to get anywhere.

Just leaving it for 10 minutes: Doors unlocked, window half down, radio on, keys on seat (my dog likes to sit in the driver's seat when I'm not there).

All day everyday: Drive a car so crap, no-one would ever steal it
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

So when a loud truck goes by at 3am and sets off the Defcon 1 alarm system you gonna get out of bed and walk to oyur car to shut if off EVERY TIME??

I had a Viper Alarm with kill and all that i dont remeber the model but in 96 it was top of the line in my 95 SHO)

Lived on a relatively busy street, lots of 82 Corollas with Fart mufflers on them crusing by at all hours

"PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTT"

i think the 3.30 am paperboy had NO muffler on his sh#Tbox, so i would get the Boston Globe slammed into my screen door (i was awake because i could hear the bastard coming up the street)
    and then have to go search for my keys to shut off my alarm... What a PITA!!

Oh and no one ever tried to steal the car or radio either, no broken windows, nada. So the only times the alarm went off was by yellow rice burners, because yellow = performance.

hilarious!

El Cwww.miamirice.net
    GO PATS!!!!

Your opinion is a little flaky. The success rate for lo-jack is unsurpassed by any other recovery tool used. In part due to the deceptive installation method, as well the immediate activation and satellite tracking; lastly, the police are compelled to use it because of its proven success rate and ease of application.

The thing is if someone wants your car, it is gone. I don’t care if you have a fuel kill, mono color coded wires, an alarm, the club, lo-jack, or a garage, people are going to find a way if they want it bad enough. All of these security methods are deterrents and slow down tactics thus preventing the novice thief any success, but a real pro will be able to drive off. Lo-jack puts that guy in check, and makes the chop shop think twice before taking in a hot ride, because a mistake can take down the whole operation.

Lets face it, if I owned a BMW 745i, it would have low jack. Professionals target high-end luxury and sports cars because one heist brings in more money than 5 three year old GMs. Hondas and this Mazda are high profile cars susceptible to theft, even though they don’t exceed the $30k mark new. The difference is that they are flashy, and poses a great after market parts resell factor that can’t be ignored. Guys are going to want to fix theirs up or trick them out, and don’t care where the parts come from as long as they are cheap.

In the early to mid nineties, several years running, the 84 olds Cutlass was the highest stolen car in the USA. The 85 and 87 were close behind with the 86 somewhere in the top 20 as well. The reason, all 4 model years were virtually the identical car, with exception to the header panel on the 87’s. These cars in the 90’s were worth less than $4k on a used car lot, but they turned a high market nonetheless. They were a sporty “cruzz’a” in the cities, and were customized and tricked to the teeth. In order to do this sometime two cars were needed to marry all of the customizations correctly, and replace damaged parts.

The same need for lo-jack applies here.
    Last edited by Ya_know; January 10th, 2003 at 11:27 AM.

Look, this is the way I see it.

If you have an alarm that cannot be killed, then its going to attract attention / wake you up, giving the thief less / no time to steal it.

LoJack is only good if you park the car in a large unpopulated area, then in that case you're right, the siren won't make a difference.

However what good is lojack if your car will simply be stolen right out of your driveway at night without making a peep, chopped up for parts by the time you wake up, and found in pieces when they do track it?

Don't forget that lojack is based on GPS, not triangulation like cell phones, so if it below enough concrete, it won't even show up on the satellite. And the time it takes to get a search warrant based on the "last known location" of the vehicle is going to be more than enough time for your car to get disected into pieces.

another thing i found on lojack website:
    "Protecting your vehicle from theft is nearly impossible. Alarms and other anti-theft devices may scare off the average joy rider. But, 80% of all vehicle thefts are committed by professional thieves, who can bypass most anti-theft devices in a matter of seconds."

Bunch of bull****. Most car thefts are made by petty thieves who simply try to cut the power wire or wire to the speaker. If they can't hotwire it in a matter of seconds / minutes - they move on. That can be achieved with a simple kill switch for the engine. (just to establish, the kill switch that i'm talking about won't let the engine start unless the alarm is disarmed)

I guess this would all depend on where you live. If you're in a "populated area" and don't leave your car out in the middle of nowhere, then a normal kill switch alarm would be better for you. however if your car is left alone in an unsupervised / empty place with no people around, then lojack would be the choice because the siren will do no good.

If, as you say, you're driving a BMW or what not - get both.

get lo-jack and a regular kill-switch alarm, then you get the best of both worlds.. however not everyone has the money for that.