Simple wireless question

Thread: Simple wireless question

Simple wireless question

I'm new to setting up wireless networking, so I'm sure this will be easily answered.
    The install I'm working on requires me to install a Panasonic digital copier/printer (DP-3510) on an existing wireless topography.
    There is no network running here as all of the PC's are stand alone. But I'm posting here cause it's a router question.
    They are using a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router to print to a Lexmark printer right now. All of the PC's have the wireless PCI cards installed.
    What I need to accomplish is to intall another Linksys on the new Panasonic printer so that the existing PC's can print to it also.
    Is it as simple as setting up the new router on the same channel and using IP addressing to distinguish the two printers?
    The Panasonic has it's own internal print server, and LPR monitoring, so setting it up is a breeze.
    Hope that's enough info!
    Am I on the right track.
    Much appreciated
    If I had a hammer...

You need to stay away from all Panasonic copiers. What are you trying to do blow that one up too!!!!!
    Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem.- Ronald Reagan

Easiest way would be to use a wireless print server. Now if the printer has a built in 10/100 print server it might just be easier to set it up plugged into one of the routers wired ports.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Originally posted by snooper2
    You need to stay away from all Panasonic copiers. What are you trying to do blow that one up too!!!!!
    Snoopers, my covers blown! Gonna have to go underground again! You're too close for comfort. (Had to be there)

Gollo, yeah it has it's own print server, but it's not in close enough proximity that I can cable to the other access point. I really just wanted to know the settings for a second access point.

I'm thinking it needs to be on the same channel as the other access points so the existing PC's can see both of them. And set the print server up with a static IP different from the other printer.
    If I had a hammer...

Originally posted by ScooterWad
    Snoopers, my covers blown! Gonna have to go underground again! You're too close for comfort. (Had to be there)

Gollo, yeah it has it's own print server, but it's not in close enough proximity that I can cable to the other access point. I really just wanted to know the settings for a second access point.

I'm thinking it needs to be on the same channel as the other access points so the existing PC's can see both of them. And set the print server up with a static IP different from the other printer.
    Your going to have to put the access point into client mode. Look at the manual to see just how to do this (as I prefer dlink to linksys I am not really familiar with their stuff) Then just plug the printer in to one of the ports on the ap/router and you should be in business.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Look into the Linksys WET11 or equivalent. It's basically a wireless client with an RJ45 port, made specifically for putting wired equipment on a wireless network.

Invisibill,
    Yep, after tyring another access point, the configuration program will only let you configure a single Access point. The WET11 wil be needed.
    Thanks for the nfo
    If I had a hammer...