off topic - best PC vacuum?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: off topic - best PC vacuum?

off topic - best PC vacuum?

I am in need of a small PC vacuum. Was curious if any other techs out there had any opinions. I would prefer something rechargeable or AC powered.

Thanks,

Al

I'd like a tip on this one too...

Anyone??
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

Kirby made one for a while and I happened to get one free when I bought my full sized Kirby (came down to: "I will buy if you throw in 2 of the PC vacuums"

It may be possible to get one off their site, or you may have to contact their sales dept.

Those little vacuums can really get a dustball (case screw, paperclip, etc) out of a machine, unlike most of the PC vacuums out there that have no power.
    Last edited by tha 4NiK8R; January 16th, 2003 at 11:38 AM.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Are we talking about a PC vacuum that can clean up laser printer toner or just a small portable home vac?
    No need to be concerned. The voices in my head assure me I am completely sane.

"Dammit Jim I’m a Star Ship surgeon not the free clinic."

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have an old Montgomery Ward's vacuum (yes, I know, but it's really old) that was actually made by Hoover. It has a 1.7 HP motor and has a detachable hose that you can plug into the exhaust hole and turn the vacuum into a blower. The vacuum weighs about 8 pounds and is pretty powerful. I tried to find a comparable unit via Google but didn't have much luck.

I typically try to vacuum up as much dust, dirt, etc. that I can and then blow out the rest. If the unit is really dirty, take it outside or otherwise you will be stirring up a bunch of airborne particles inside the customer's office/room, etc.

Concerning vacuuming up toner, you need a "toner vacuum"...something that is designed for vacuuming those tiny particles. If you use a regualar vacuum, the toner will get past your filter/bag, etc. and make it into the motor workings...guaranteed to make the bearings go bad.

Cool

Of course, you've all notice NooNoo's avatar. Could that be the PC vacuum you're looking for?

I wonder how much one of those cost...especially with the eyeballs and everything...

Sorry to be posting so many times but I was able to find this at Hoover's website for Model PortaPower S1015-030. This is as close as I could find for what we use...

I heard Sewing machine vacuums are good also,

i personally use an 125psi air compressor... gets those dust bunnies out quick...

***WARNING*** do it outside or in a garage

heh...

Lightbulb static from "untreated air"

Has anyone given thought to the air running over the IC's and the amount of static it would generate?

Just wondering....

Garf.
    DNRC- let the new world begin.

Re: static from "untreated air"

Originally posted by Garfeild_Cat
    the amount of static it would generate
    Standard advice is to avoid blasting a stream of air across the surface of components, because of the potential (ha ha) to create damaging static charges.

I try to always puff from a distance of about a foot when I use compressed air.

Also avoid spinning fans up to high speeds with the air hitting on one edge of the blade - rather hard on bearings.

Re: Re: static from "untreated air"

Originally posted by Platypus
    ...., because of the potential (ha ha)

Groaaan.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

Thanks for the posts everyone. I didn't realize there would be so much interest on pc house work.

tha 4NiK8R, is there any whay you could get me the model number of your Kirby mini-vac? Their web site is much lacking for info.

Thanks,

Al

My avatars blow compressed air. They clean PC's really well, except it looks like they may burn down the place.

I have been looking at this vac for the PC shop. It seems to be small, powerfull and bagless. Though it would be of little use for toner. http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...rtment=primary
    Last edited by techguy13; January 17th, 2003 at 11:03 AM.
    No need to be concerned. The voices in my head assure me I am completely sane.

"Dammit Jim I’m a Star Ship surgeon not the free clinic."

Don't know about using vacuums. I thought there was a static issue when using it on a P.C. I see no problem using it on a monitor or keyboard as long as they are disconnected from the tower or case.

I usually use an air compressor with an air blow nozzle to disperse the dust bunnies in the power supply, cooling fans, inside the case. I make sure to use it outside of course.

Never had an issue with a pc being damaged by that.