Dual nics and ICS

Thread: Dual nics and ICS

Dual nics and ICS

Hi all - my Guard unit is deployed to Indiana, and several of us have laptops. We have a wireless LAN configured in the barracks, with a NetGear wireless router, and various flavors of wireless NICS for the PCs. Everything in-house works fine.

We recently got a Starband 360 satellite Internet system. We want to network it, and according to www.starbandusers.com, it is possible if you use a PC to interface between the modem and the router. This is due to the proprietary software that is installed on the PC, and interfaces with the modem.

So we have a Toshiba satellite laptop running WinXP home, with an onboard NIC, and a NetGear wireless NIC. It works fine on the Internet, and it works fine on the in-house LAN, but you can't have both going at the same time. The Internet will be working fine, and as soon as you put the wireless card in, the Internet quits working. It still shows that both connections are enabled and connected, but it seems that the connection drops. Same goes to the in-house LAN. The PC will not get on the LAN when the modem is plugged into the CAT5 jack.

So, both work fine alone, but not together. What am I doing wrong? Is there something that I can do to configure it? Oh, also, both connections are DHCP.

Hope you can help. Thanks in advance!
    "The Force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet...."

I think you are trying to do to much with what you have... things might work better, if you just buy for example the linksys wireless router with 4 port switch, its like $129 but not only does it route the internet, it also will work to route to the wireless connections, rather than having the the laptop share the connection and worry about both nics working together it would be easier to just get the wireless router to take care of all of it ..... hope this helps let me know, i think your troop can pool the $$$

You say you have a wireless router.. just plug you starband modem into the WAN port of the wireless router.. make sure the ip setting are correct for the starband config and you should have internet on you internal LAN
    Spend One Hour of Every Day Like it was Your last, you'll Live much better that way