APC UPS recall

Thread: APC UPS recall

APC UPS recall

full info here
    and more here

American Power Conversion Voluntarily Recalls Two Uninterruptible Power Supply Models

WEST KINGSTON, R.I. -- January 14, 2003 -- American Power Conversion (Nasdaq: APCC) (APC), in cooperation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, today announced a voluntary recall of two models in its Back-UPS® CS uninterruptible power supply (UPS) line due to potential safety issues that may result in overheating and represent a potential fire hazard. The total number of affected devices being recalled worldwide is approximately 2.1 million with approximately 900,000 devices recalled in the United States.

APC has received eight reports worldwide of units overheating resulting in the melting of the unit's outer casing, six of which occurred in the United States. Three of the reported incidents resulted in minor property damage. No injuries have been reported.

The recall is limited to two specific models in APC's Back-UPS CS product line - the Back-UPS CS 350 and the Back-UPS CS 500, in both 120-volt and 230-volt models. The affected units were manufactured between November 2000 and December 2002. The units were sold primarily through computer and electrical distribution, catalog and retail outlets worldwide.
    Consumers with affected units can identify them by the model markings on the front of the unit and by the serial numbers located on the bottom of the unit. Only units with serial numbers having the first six characters in the following ranges are affected:

AB0048 through AB0251

BB0104 through BB0251

JB0125 through JB0251

Any units with an "R" at the end of the serial number are not part of the recall.

APC recommends that the user immediately remove the UPS unit from service by turning off all connected equipment, turning the UPS unit off, and then unplugging the unit from the electrical outlet.

To learn more about the recall action and the process for replacing the affected units, users should visit www.apc.com or call 866 APC-RELY (866 272-7359).

APC has been working closely with the Consumer Product Safety Commission and other appropriate parties in this action, which does not affect any other APC devices.

"We remain highly confident in the overall safety and reliability of all of our products, and have been working diligently to ensure that this action results in a minimum inconvenience to our customers and channel partners," said Rodger B. Dowdell, Jr., APC president and CEO.
    Last edited by Damned Angel; January 15th, 2003 at 11:44 PM.

good one, thanks.
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

I saw that on the news last night. The articles refer to there being only 8 of these things actually melting. I don't know if it is worth recalling over 900,000 of them, but then I would have never recalled the Firestone tires either...

thanks many of our clients have those 350.
    Coffee flows in my veins...

Yep, we smelled something burning in the server room one day last year and I tracked it to one of these. I pulled the battery and the sides were bulging out and it looked like it had started to melt. One more night in there and who knows what might have happened. I think ours was a 500.
    Do You Realize? - that you have the most beautiful face
    Do You Realize? - we're floating in space -
    Do You Realize? - that happiness makes you cry
    Do You Realize? - that everyone you know someday will die

Can we un-sticky this thing and let the thread die an honorable death? I gotta say, this is worse than one of those virus scares that you keep getting emails about for weeks after...the public service has served its purpose.

Please…Please…Please release this thread!

wich other product have you use to recommand the APC CS 350 ???

We are trying to find a product with the same stats and SIZE the other one are a bit bigger.

thanx
    Coffee flows in my veins...