gateway parts

Thread: gateway parts

gateway parts

I have a two part question. First are gateway power supplies proprietary? I have heard that Dell's are but I haven't heard for sure about gateways. Second does anyone know a source for gateway after-warranty parts? Specifically motherboards? I have a gateway LC that has a dead motherboard ( socket 7 atx) that I would like to replace if possible. I know socket 7's are all but gone but anything that will fit in the case without too much cutting up of the back would be good. My boss wanted to find out our options with it before we decide what to do with it. Thanks in advance!
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

dell PS and some compaq are propiatary. don't think gateway is but not sure. I would probably guess NOT as it's a socket 7 board. what processor support do you need. and is it dead too?

but I may be your bestest friend in the whole world shard (if it's under a p200.) click the link
    http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=4000282
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

if that gateway board is too old, what's the form factor standard ATX, micro ATX?
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

I am in now way suggesting that you buy from these guys, but they can probably help you see the power supply...

www.mundocorp.com

If you have a part number (which the guys above don't use the gateway part number on their site that I have found) you could just search Google, and probably find a hand full of retailers. Gateway doesn't sell parts for older PC's any more. I just got off of the phone with them 20 minutes ago about a Solo2500 and was told just that.

There are still plenty of places out there selling these parts though...

There was also this thread:
    Parts for Gateways?

Sorry, I didn't really read your post. I don't know what made me think you were looking at laptop parts.

Anyway, my suggestion is to throw the PC away. You can get a used PIII system for a couple hundred these days...

Some GW power supplies are proprietary and some are not. it depends on the system. You can actually go through GW direct for Out of Warranty parts but they don't always have the parts. I do not know of a 3rd party company that has them. Mundo Corp does have some old GW stuff so they are worth a shot. If you want to PM me with your serial number I'll look it up and see what is available. If it is an old Socket 7 I would have to guess that it isn't. but I can look for you.

Your serial number should be on the back of the case and begins with 001 or 0009, 0008 ... you get the point, it depends on how old it is.
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way. ---Pink Floyd

Hey thanks. It's a micro atx but the biggest problem is the proprietary not replaceable back panel. It as the normal ps/2 mouse and keyboard and then 2usb as normal also. Then we have a parallel port and on-board video but no hole for a serial port. After that it has TWO holes for sound and mic and then a modem ( built in). The back panel is part of the case so you can't just swap it. The current board also has two pci slots and only a 90watt power supply. Not sure what the processor that is in it is nor do I know if it's any good. We do have several k6-2 450mhz chips but I might be able to scrounge up a lower socket 7 processor if i needed to.

That board looks too big to even possibly fit in the case but the back looks like it would almost work.

I would also be interested in gateway parts in general. When I asked gateway they said I could buy from them and then gave me a site to go to that doesn't exist when she figured out it was something they didn't carry.

Originally posted by Ya_know
    Sorry, I didn't really read your post. I don't know what made me think you were looking at laptop parts.

Anyway, my suggestion is to throw the PC away. You can get a used PIII system for a couple hundred these days...
    Hey thanks for the info. I'm just the leg man in this, the boss wanted me to find out if there was anyway to use the case. That is what I'm doing. If it was up to me, it would have been pulled apart and case thrown into our scrap metal pile!!

OK, that is what is known as a Low Cost PC. Unfortunately we can not order individual parts for that system but it can be sent to our Tier 2 service facility at a cost of $169. It typically takes about a week to fix. Any other questions?
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way. ---Pink Floyd

thanks, check your pm