XP Service Pack

Thread: XP Service Pack

XP Service Pack

Is there a tool that i can launch that will show what service pack is installed on windows 2000 and/or XP?

Right Click my computer, properties, right there on the general tab.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I know about that location but there is nothing there. I wanted to make sure there were no service packs installed. Also, i wanted to be able to run a script over the network and get the information automatically.

The script will run on a client or a server? The script will extract this info from a client or a server?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Qfecheck can tell you exactly what patches and SP's are installed but it does not do this remotely.

You can have it however execute locally and send a log to a computer of your choice.

Would that work? Maybe add to logon scripts in your GPO.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...2784&ID=282784

Maybe hfnetchk Pro also, it does remote audit.

I realise its turning the tools purpose around abit but it would tell you the SP state of the system.

Here is an easy one that should work:

Code:
    On Error Resume Next
    strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
    Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem",,48)
    For Each objItem in colItems
        Wscript.Echo "CSName: " & objItem.CSName
        Wscript.Echo vbtab & "ServicePackMajorVersion: " & objItem.ServicePackMajorVersion
        Wscript.Echo vbtab & "ServicePackMinorVersion: " & objItem.ServicePackMinorVersion
    Next
    Feel free to replace the "." with any computer's name on your network, or you could easily write a loop that would get all the computer names from AD.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

O BTW I wrote that script with the Scriptomatic:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...r/wmimatic.asp

This is a tool for losers who don't know how to script, but want to anyway. It also makes for really easy WMI stuff for those of us who DO know how. It saves having to dig through WBEMTest and it's ugly interface.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"