Video Card Upgrade

Thread: Video Card Upgrade

Video Card Upgrade

Hi all, I am wanting to upgrade my video card from a GeForce 2 MX-400 with 64MB of SDRAM (a.k.a. - junk) to a GeForce 4 Ti4200 with 128MB of DDR.

I was looking at all the different brands and would like to know which one people would recommend. I'm inclined to go with Asus because they make great motherboards, but I'm not sure if I'd be getting the most for my money. I'm looking to spend between $100 and $175 preferably (maybe $200). AGP 8X is also not a requirement since my current mobo can only handle 4X max.

Thanks in advance.

--Stryfe
    Please insert volume 'BRAIN' and press any key to continue.

/me often wonders why there isn't a minimum IQ requirement to use a computer.

Asus makes fine video cards. I have an Asus V7700 TiVx Pure (GF2Ti 64MB) and it works just fine.

The only complaint against Asus is that they don't update their drivers very often. So if you get a card with specialized features like 3d glasses, TV-out, s-video in, etc, you may not be able to use the updated detonator drivers from Nvidia because they will not be written to take advantage of those features on the card. Since my card is pure (VGA out only) I don't have to worry about it.

Gainward and MSI are two other reputable companies that come to mind, they make cards based on the Nvidia chipsets.

personally i like Gainward, Leadtek and Visiontek. i know some of you are going to laugh, but i've also used EVGA here and there and they seem to be good low price cards.
    take care and tempt not the fates

Asus does make great videocards.

MSI have some good ones too.

Such as this one. It is an older model now, but it still gets great performance!!! ONe of my brothers uses this one.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/v...el=G4Ti4200-TD

So if I was going to get one of Asus' cards, I couldn't use the Detonator drivers at all, or would they just not support all of the advanced features on the card? Such as the 3D Glasses, multiple video in/out, etc.

--Stryfe

Originally posted by Stryfe
    So if I was going to get one of Asus' cards, I couldn't use the Detonator drivers at all, or would they just not support all of the advanced features on the card? Such as the 3D Glasses, multiple video in/out, etc.

--Stryfe
    if you got the Asus card, you could use the Detonator drivers, but like Mac said, the Detonator drivers probably would not support the "other" features of the card

I'll throw in another endorsement for Gainward. Besides being GREAT cards, they also look REALLY cool!

Oh, and Buddy Holly... I may be wrong, but didn't VisionTek recently go belly up?
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

Ok, thanks for all the replies so far, guys. Does anyone know whether the detonator drivers support video-in, or is that one of the above-mentioned 'special features'?

--Stryfe

wow, i guess they did. I did not know that. wierd and wild stuff. anyone know when that happened? ya learn something new everyday i guess

Well, after much thought, I have decided to go with the Asus V9280TD. Here's a link if anyone's interested.

Wish me luck.

--Stryfe