Printers & Terminal Server

Thread: Printers & Terminal Server

Printers & Terminal Server

I have windows 2000 server. My problem is that Terminal Server will not release printers! Everytime a session gets disconnected, or even some when they log off correctly, TS retains the printers, so that when the user logs back in, their last session's printers are visable as well as their current printers. You will see the same printer sometimes listed 15 times, for 15 past sessions. I have set TS to terminate disconnected sessions, etc., but still to no avail. I have tried searching MS support site for answers, but have not found any yet. It does not matter what type of printer it is, it keeps them all. Please help! Thanks, Matt

Further Explanation

Ok Guys, I may have came across as my problem be a little more complicated than it really is. The problem is basically that Win 2000 is not deleting printers from Terminal Server Users Sessions. Even though they may log off Terminal Services, their old printers stay there. It would basically be like you logging in and out of your computer 1 time every day for 20 days, and on the 21st day you login and you have your printer listed 21 times. I think it may be something to do with Windows Print Spooler or something. It is like it is not refreshing.

Could you use manual redirection instead of automatic redirection? This would probably solve your problem.
    To each his/her own.

Well each user has like 3 printers, some of the network printers. If this is still possible, can you go into a little more detail? Thanks, Matt

To each his/her own.

Logon Scripting?

you can also use logon scripting to map and delete printers when users logon to the TS.

for example, joe starts a tsc session, he logs onto the domain,

then a script (WSH) runs, it first deletes any mapped printers, then it maps the printer that would be closest to the user.

please note that you can determine automatically which printer is closest to each OU, and map a different printer per each OU.

I will go and dig the scripting that we need up (cause i don't remember the exact scripting.)
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

Great. I really appreciate the help here. I will wait for you to respond with the sample scripts.

System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it.

no problemo...im just glad i could help
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

2000 also uses logOFF scripts which might be a good place to place a script that deletes printers..
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!