AntiVirus Software Best Practices?

Thread: AntiVirus Software Best Practices?

AntiVirus Software Best Practices?

I am try to determine best practices for what to do with AntiVirus/AntiViral software during the installation of other software (ie, regular programs, etc.).

I have been unable to find anything on Symantecs site or on google. Maybe I have been searching on the wrong key words....

Let me know what you guys think!
    Do we have any urls that link to this best practice?

Usepost 2000
    Tech Warrior

I will always disable antivirus software during software installs - the number of odd little problems av software can cause with major software packages like office are numerous.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

BUMP

Thanks NN. Anyone else? I have always left it on. This is new to me that it could cause problems. More info need to assimilate
    UsePost2000
    IT Consultant
    A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSA,
    MCSE, MCSE2000, MCDBA,
    MCT, CCNA, CCNP

Best results turn it off, or be prepared for all kinds of troubleshooting afterwards. Can you install software while it's running? Sure but you never can tell for sure if your av will have trouble with a program until you install and by then, like I said lots of troubleshooting or fdisk/format routine.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

I think it also depends on the brand AV software. I have used InocualteIT for several years, and only disable realtime monitoring when I am prompted by a software install. I believe Office will install, but when applying updates is when it prompted me to turn it off. Every other time I leave it running...

Update

Wow, all replies that say turn it off. Any people out there for leaving it enabled? So far the verdict is off.
    UsePost2000
    IT Consultant
    A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSA,
    MCSE, MCSE2000, MCDBA,
    MCT, CCNA, CCNP

I use NAV 7.6 corp and leave it on unless it prompts me to turn it off. never had a problem. . . . . . . EVER. if it asks me explicity to turn it off I do. if it just says the generic "it's reccomended to close all programs" I just hit continue or next or whatever.

seems to me you are leaving yourself more vunerable and opening yourself up to more problems disabling it when installing especially if you're installing a shareware app or a downloaded app. you disable AV and that thing could be loaded full of virii (just for ed ) that it could copy all over your system because you've got real time protection disabled.

just my opinion
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    I leave it on, never had a problem
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Originally posted by Radical Dreamer
    I leave it on, never had a problem
    Ditto.

If you use downloaded software or software from sources besides a CD sent from the manufacturer of the software leave it on. Otherwise I see no issue with turning it off even though I haven't seen issues myself.

Talking update thursday

This is great, I have a good basis for my report. Does anyone have any links to FAQS or anything like that that also give recommendations?
    UsePost2000
    IT Consultant
    A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSA,
    MCSE, MCSE2000, MCDBA,
    MCT, CCNA, CCNP

Banned
    I never turn it off either, I have had an install turn it off for me, but can't remember what it was. I have worked with McAfee, Innoculan and Norton, never a problem.