Persian Gulf Oil

View Poll Results: What percentage of oil imported into the USA is from the Persian Gulf?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0% - 24%

9 33.33%
  • 25% -49%

8 29.63%
  • 50% - 74%

6 22.22%
  • 75% -100%

4 14.81%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Persian Gulf Oil

Persian Gulf Oil

This is just me wanting to see what the popular conception of the percentage of oil the USA gets per day from the Persian Gulf region is.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

I took a wild guess around 50%. It could be higher.
    I do understand the U.S. doesn't buy any Iraqi oil because the oil embargo or economic sanctions imposed on oil

Sigh!!! The U.N. inspection report for Iraq this monday is supposed to give Iraq a passing grade for cooperation.
    Mr. Bush accuses the Iraqi Government of threatening their scientists with death if they dare speak to the inspectors. Some of the scientists are supposedly an Iraqi soldier impersonating a scientist.
    The Iraqi gov't states their scientist refuse to be interviewed with the U.N. Inspectors because they don't trust Bush.

The irony of it all.

Originally posted by cookin chef
    Sigh!!! The U.N. inspection report for Iraq this monday is supposed to give Iraq a passing grade for cooperation.
    Why is that a bad thing? Would you be happier if they gave them a fail for not cooperating?

It is known that the US buys oil from Iraq by using a third country that buys from Iraq and sells it to US .

But I think that most of the US incoming oil doesn't come from the middle east ,I know that Angola ,Venezuela and Russia sells big to the US .I would guess 30% come from middle east.

Carpe Diem

Personally I think it's very very high. 75 - 100%.

Is this thread leading towards the "war is a cover for taking over the oil" theory, because that's complete trash. The people who peddle this line are the same ones who think man never landed on the moon! And whilst I'm in precher mode, why does the evening news show the 100 or so anti war protesters every night and not the millions who back it 100%?

Originally posted by gazzak
    Personally I think it's very very high. 75 - 100%.

Is this thread leading towards the "war is a cover for taking over the oil" theory, because that's complete trash. The people who peddle this line are the same ones who think man never landed on the moon! And whilst I'm in precher mode, why does the evening news show the 100 or so anti war protesters every night and not the millions who back it 100%?
    Dude, you are wrong on all counts.

If it were a war about human rights violations, the USA would be at war with a dozen other countries right now that are worse than Iraq in their human rights violations.

And I know about a hundred people PERSONALLY who would protest against the war, and maybe only a dozen who would support it...
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

So what is the actual percentage? I don't give a damn about a general consensus, most of us here aren't even aware, we are just guessing.

So what are the facts?

Out of 10,783,000 barrels a day of crude oil and refined products, 2,140,000 come from the Persian Gulf (a hair under 20%).

Top 4 suppliers:

Canada - 1,939,000
    Saudi Arabia - 1,690,000
    Venezuela - 1,599,000
    Mexico - 1,340,000

These figures are as of December 2002.

Source: http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petro...ortexport.html
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

Originally posted by Wayward Clam
    Dude, you are wrong on all counts.

If it were a war about human rights violations, the USA would be at war with a dozen other countries right now that are worse than Iraq in their human rights violations.

And I know about a hundred people PERSONALLY who would protest against the war, and maybe only a dozen who would support it...
    It is not just about human rights, if that where true, China would practiclly be at the top. It is about a chaotic lunitic that is making outlawed chem & bio weapons. Do you think someone like him would think twice about selling them to a terrorist organisation? If he hasn't yet anyway!
    Steven Henry

I find it interesting that we get so little oil from the middle east.

One thing I'd like to point out is that peace has been tried for the last few years. It failed miserably. I was watching one of the former weapons inspectors last night and he was on about how this whole process was a load and it was obvious to him that Iraq did in fact have a chemical weapon arsenal that they had hidden or had already distributed elsewhere.

The reason that it is important to oust sadam is that he supports terrorists. I don't have direct proof of this laying in front of me but in this case (loathe as I am to do so) I am going to actually take the word of our leaders that he's going to be a problem.

The problem is not that another country has chemical weapons. We don't care that a country has them - most countries have them and we trust them not to use them. In this case, Sadam will very likely give them to terrorists who will use them without hesitation given the chance and he has used them himself several times. It's not the weapon of mass destruction that needs to be worried about, it's who has it and how likely they are to use them.

Why don't we solve this oil crisis right now....Just tear up the entire state of Texas until we find some more.

If we don't find any, so what, I don't think anybody here would miss it...*Texas that is.......eh, eh, eh
    Last edited by Orangeman; January 25th, 2003 at 08:49 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

I here there's plenty of oil in Alaska, we just can't get the Caribou Mafia to let us have it.

I've stayed away from the Iraq issue online as much as possible, but the terrorist-Iraq connection begs involvement. Saddam may very well provide safe haven and possibly even conventional weapons, but I doubt he would provide any weapon to a terrorist group that could later be effectively used against him, with the possible exception of chemcal weapons to Palestinian groups. And feelings are so mixed on the Israel-Palestine issue that I've heard some truly stunning reactions to Palestinians getting those weapons.

I can understand the popular resistance to the threat of war in Iraq. The US looks like a bully. In the past few years, we've engaged in some conflicts while ignoring others in an odd pattern. Oil in some, absolutely nothing in others. Never complete victories and sometimes complete failures. Pulling out whether the job is done or not. Frankly, no wonder so much of the world would rather see nothing happen than watch armed conflict followed by yet another misstep. This time the USA must absolutely step up and stay in Iraq long enough to ensure stability.

Screw the oil factor. We can and should buy it from Russia. They have the deposits and need the currency not to mention they are not a member of OPEC. Besides, nothing like a steady flow of money with no idealogy to interfere to make for a strong friendship.

Originally posted by jaeger
    Top 4 suppliers:

Canada - 1,939,000
    Saudi Arabia - 1,690,000
    Venezuela - 1,599,000
    Mexico - 1,340,000
    Shhhh!!!! You'll have Bush invading up here next!!!
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    Originally posted by Wayward Clam
    Shhhh!!!! You'll have Bush invading up here next!!!
    HE SHOULD!!! Everyone knows the Yukon is stealing Alaskan Oil from the wildlife refuge!

Plenty of oil, natural gas and low sulfer coal (along with coal bed methane) up here. + geothermal out the ying-yang. Just no infastructure to get to a lot of it (no roads or rail). Makes exploration and development extremely expensive. Eastern Siberia is experiencing the same problems - lot's of minerals, hugely expensive development. The Russian gov't doesn't have the $$$, so they have partnered with BP, Phillips, Exxon Mobile, Barrick, BHP, Anglo-American to help develop their natural resources.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.