Need scsi - ide converter

Thread: Need scsi - ide converter

Need scsi - ide converter

Hey all, I was wonder if anyone has any experience with any converters to put an IDE device on a SCSI bus. I need one for a piece of machinery that one of my clients uses.

It has an unknown OS, so the device must be transparent to the OS, no drivers.

I've been looking at the one posted below, but I wanted to ask the windrivers family if anyone has used them before.

http://www.devicenet-usa.com/

Uhhh riiiiight.......
    Why dont you just find a Ultra33 promise controller for like 10 bux? You can find a ata33/66 ide controller for the cheap cheap im sure now. I am 98.2% sure there isnt such a thing from a ide to scsi converter.
    i got all kinds of shiiiiiiiii to yap about.

Originally posted by factory81
    Uhhh riiiiight.......
    Why dont you just find a Ultra33 promise controller for like 10 bux? You can find a ata33/66 ide controller for the cheap cheap im sure now. I am 98.2% sure there isnt such a thing from a ide to scsi converter.
    Did you check his link? There is one there for like $70. I was as suprized at anyone else that one exists. Very suprized!

But It would be nice to know what OS is an Unknow OS. And what kind of system it will be running in...

The machine is part of a carpet loom. The computer stores the pattern for the carpet and controls the wires that lift all of the different colors of yarn into place depending on the pattern.

Pretty neat stuff to see it in action. Unfortunately, everything about it is proprietary, save the hard drive. The computer part is a single circuit board w/ a PowerPC proc of some sort, a power supply (non-standard), and the hard drive. The patterns are loaded by Zip disk through what must be a standard parrallel port on the side of the unit.

The HD controller (SCSI) is onboard and there are no expansion slots, so I can't use a PCI IDE card.

Hehe, I don't know what it is but it sounds very cooool.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

is there a reason other than price difference for the ide drive? Depending on how much space you need you can find older scsi drive pretty cheap.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Just read this article on Toms hardware. Interesting.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Originally posted by Gollo
    is there a reason other than price difference for the ide drive? Depending on how much space you need you can find older scsi drive pretty cheap.
    My question also: Why can't you just use a SCSI drive?

Don't mean to be difficult, just curious.

Surely, you've already checked out http://www.pricewatch.com/

ise and scsi

I would like to point out gollo's link to tomshardware I just read this before checking out the forums and foudn that for a price you can get very good performance out of an ide drive on the scsi bus. The only place the ide falls significantly short of a scsi driver is in the I/O and it clearly makes up for that in the CPU utilizating.

a scsi to ide adapter may be a good solution, its got me interested
    hey, whatever helps you sleep at night