Getting a New Laptop...Suggestions? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Getting a New Laptop...Suggestions?

Just a suggestion, but I would stay away from Micron, they only sell Pentium 4 laps, and the ones we have are SLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW........

Dell - excellent well-ruonded laptops
    IBM - great road warrior laptops
    AlienWare - best gaming laptops. - pricey.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

I (as always) am going to suggest a Gateway. I work on them every day (I work for Gateway). Our laptops are very dependable and I really like the Country Stores for having them serviced at (can do software but not hardware). PM me if you have any questions about Gateway and I should be able to answer them.
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way. ---Pink Floyd

New laptop..

I know they're pricey, but I feel Fujitsu makes an excellent high-end laptop. At the time (and perhaps still?) they were the only guys with a decent, fully integrated cordless mouse. To this day I cannot stand any of the other pointing devices. I've tried them all and they STILL suck.

I get frustrated after 2 lines of code with the little sticks and knobs.

[However, if you want to nuke the cmos password in it, do NOT mess with (and break) the sleep battery pack. Just use KillCmos and be done with it.]

I see more features in the Apple laptops that seem directly taken from my Fujitsu than in any other computer these days.

Thats a good thing.

Sony Vaio. AMDs.
    No fancy knobs or dials to get broken off. Very solid build. Sold loads, only one problem ever reported and thats cause he dropped it.
    Always sell them with a 3 year Sony warranty.
    I own one myself - its my fourth now (upgrades). I know they are pricey, but theyve never let me down yet.

Thumbs up Sager Notebooks

I just bought a Sager 5660, and I love it. I bought it from www.rjtech.com and have always had good luck with that company. Alienware sells the exact same laptop at http://www.alienware.com/main/system.../area51-m.asp.
    Awesome graphics, and desktop components for CPU and ram. Dual batteries is also a plus. Let me know if anyone else has one and what they think about them.
    Duct tape and computers just dont mix!!!

Without getting too pricey but still very good, go with the Toshiba or Sony. They make GREAT laptops.

The Compaq/HP laptops arent bad either.

Stay away from Gateways... I have had 2 and they were both junk. Sorry to the guy who works for Gateway but that was my experience.

I have owned and had family members purchase many Toshibas and they have by far been the best that I have seen for the money.
    If its not broke, then upgrade anyways!

Who ever said computers were logical?

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    Originally posted by underfunded
    I (as always) am going to suggest a Gateway. I work on them every day (I work for Gateway). Our laptops are very dependable and I really like the Country Stores for having them serviced at (can do software but not hardware). PM me if you have any questions about Gateway and I should be able to answer them.
    I am in total agreement. My office just provided me a Gateway 450S notebook and this thing is sweet . The 400S is a little bigger and heavier, but pretty well loaded for $1299. Buy an extra 256 meg of DDR notebook RAM from crucial for $49 and your looking at a pretty darn good machine for $1350.00. I just showed up at the Gateway Country Store in Anchorage and walked out with it ½ hour later.

I think the other big difference is the 400S is a P4, and the 450S is the the Mobile P4. The 450S is dockable, not sure on the 400S.

*As a side note my personal favorite were the Toshiba's. + I have a Compaq Presario 700 US that I have been using for 16 months and it has preformed well in the harsh environment I work in.
    Last edited by Major Kong; February 13th, 2003 at 04:36 PM.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

I've just bought a Sony Vaio PCG-NVR23. It has an Athlon Mobile XP 1800+ Nvidia geoforce4 Graphics DVD/CDRW combo drive hot swappable floppy, keypad, and powered subwoofer (outstanding sound from a laptop) DDR memory. I haven't had any problems so far, and it feels rock solid as far as construction is concerned. Only 1400 US$ after mail in rebate. Outstanding in playing DVDs on screen or out to TV