Building New PC
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building New PC

Building New PC

Building New PC
    So here I am, taking advantage of my time off (not currently employed, remember?) to build my new box and spend even more time on WinDrivers...

I'm really excited about this PC, as I've been planning/saving/scheming for 3 years now to get the parts to build it. I had to "make do" with a PII 350 right up until 2 weeks ago when I sold it and finished my "intermediate" PC (Celeron 500@566) thanks to Garak (ECS dualie motherboard) and DocPC (Radeon 7000) among the donors for this machine. Thanks again guys.

So now I'm just anxiously awaiting for my 2x256Mb Corsair XMS DDR400 RAM to come in (ordered yesterday) so I can give my new PC a whirl.

I finally went with an AthlonXP 2100+ on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe. 2x40Gb Seagate drives (maybe on an additional ATA100 controller - not sure yet), an LG 32x CD burner, and an LG 16x DVD drive complete the "drives".

I'm sticking with my GeForce2 MX400 64Mb for now while eyeing the possibility of upgrading to something with a little more punch later on. The onboard sound is more than adequate for my needs.

A blue cold cathode and blue LED top fan complete the look of the "pre-modded" Nikao case I had chosen back in 2001 for this purpose.

Contrary to expectations from those who know me, I will not be overclocking this baby - just yet. I chose the best bang for the bucks I had and intend on respecting the warranties to the fullest.

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I've never been this happy to be unemployed!

I just wanted to give a heads up to those who have supported me throughout this upgrade - and the embarassment of using sub-standard hardware for so long - along with another round of thanks.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Just don't teach it chess....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Re: Building New PC

Originally posted by a d e p t
    Building New PC
    I've never been this happy to be unemployed
    Don't say that, there's a recession out there!

Orangeman
    Last edited by Orangeman; January 31st, 2003 at 06:47 AM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Just dont slack on components and stick with good brand names and you have a start for a good computer. Altho there is overkill. Corsair memory might be overkill. I consider good ole Samsung or Micron Technology chipped memory to be considered high quality.
    i got all kinds of shiiiiiiiii to yap about.

Originally posted by factory81
    Just dont slack on components and stick with good brand names and you have a start for a good computer. Altho there is overkill. Corsair memory might be overkill. I consider good ole Samsung or Micron Technology chipped memory to be considered high quality.
    I respectfully disagree. There are a few things that I don't think should EVER be skimped on and they are memory powersupply and (these days) a good cooler (cooling system)

the most aggravating and difficult troubleshooting sessions I've encountered in my years teching computers were caused by heat, power and memory issues. a slightly faulty or poor quality memory chip, power supply, or HSF can cause crazy intermitten problems like you wouldn't believe.

I may spend a little more on crucial memory, antec or enermax supplies, and good CPU coolers, but I know that I have a stable base and when things get quirky I can look to other issues / hardware components

the gap between excellant and OK (as far as quality) is far greater when it comes to memory, power supplies and coolers. I'd much rather have to top of the lines in those components with onboard (or lower end sound), and a middle of the road video card

hmm I might be onto something there . . . . . .
    I've got an antec true power 400 watt supply
    a very nice all copper cooler
    and crucial memory
    with a SBLive (far from cuttng edge now)
    and a ATI Radeon Vivo
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Now all you need is a few new games to play on the beast!
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Registered User Dark Millennium's Avatar
    Sounds like a really good system.

So what game are you going to play first? Quake or Unreal?
    The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of you coffee.
    (Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel)

If a program is useful, it will have to be changed.
    (Laws of Computer Programming, III)

Thanx to Adept for the Avatar

Originally posted by Dark Millennium
    Sounds like a really good system.

So what game are you going to play first? Quake or Unreal?
    Believe it or not, I've had UT2003 sitting in it's box since early December just so I could have it available when this box was completed.

As for the first game installed and played, QuakeIII will be it, as I have postponed handing someone their head for far too long now. I'll probably be spending some time on Bishop's Q3 server for *cough* testing purposes.

I spent a looooong time checking out these parts and came out with a package that gave me the best performance and stability for the money available. The only "questionable" component is the 400W PSU, but prolonged use will tell me if it's good or not.

As for RAM, the number of manufacturers out there producing sticks with a CAS latency of 2 (Samsung has a lot of 2.5, but I haven't seen any 2s yet) is limited. Geil, OCZ and Corsair were the names that kept coming back up when high quality, speed and board compatibility were being discussed. Otherwise, I've used Kingstaon sticks in all my other machines with perfect results.

Now to start shopping for that graphics card...
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Now to start shopping for that graphics card...
    Which card did you have in mind???

Originally posted by cookin chef
    Which card did you have in mind???
    I'm hoping to have a 400$ CAN budget for this, so I'm leaning towards AGP 8x cards from MSI (Ti4600) and Asus (Ti4200 - 9280S Superfast). Now that the GeForceFX cards are coming, these models should decrease in price soon.

But I've been playing around with a Radeon 7000 and I like it's overall rendering. There just may be some competition in my choices if the Radeon prices drop a bit.

Adept, you are right about upcoming price drops. You made some good choices for cards there. Don't know about the Radeon 7000 though, that is an outdated card now.
    Radeon 9000 or higher would be better as an alternative choice to Geforce 4.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    If you are looking for Nice price and nice features, the gainward 4200 golden sample has vivo, vga, and DVI with a DVI/vga converter, comes with serious sam 2 and comes with an OC utility, and the best part is, if you OC it, it DOES NOT void your warranty
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Congrats on your new system.

What OS?
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Win98SE/WinXP dual boot for now, possibly some flavour of Linux later on.

I just got an ATA133 drive this morning to plop down into it, but for now I'm busy trying to saw out a hole in the case so I can add a blue LED fan and a biohazard grill.

Boots up fine now, after messing around with RAM settings, and updated the BIOS too.

Can't wait to have it done so I can install some games - hum - productivity applications.

Win98SE/WinXP dual boot for now, possibly some flavour of Linux later on.
    dual boot!??! Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

hehe, I'm hopin different partitions??