Building New PC - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building New PC

This time around, yes.

The other time was one of those "What if?" things that worked out pretty well in the end, believe it or not.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

On the video card. If your only looking to spend around $150 US, then, the Abit GeForce4 Ti 4200 OTES is great. With the fan and heatsink system you get with that you can overclock that baby like nothing. Also, I just upgraded too! I got an Athlon 2100, and I love it so far. Also, I recently just purchased a Radeon 9700pro. And let me tell you, if you want to cream your pants, it is 300 bucks well spent. Got it from newegg.
    "Color outside the lines"

Well, it's done and I'm now using it as my main PC - W00T!.

I'll most probably remove Win98SE entirely, as it has some issues I just can't be bothered to fix right now. For the WinXP SP1 side, it's stable and fast.

CPU/Motherboard temps are more than acceptable. The Corsair DDR400 RAM worked fine right out of the packaging and into the box - until I started tweaking it. Reseting the BIOS cleared that up.

You should see how Photoshop 7 runs on this thing!

Not to mention UT2003, Unreal 2, and my old favorites Quake3, UT, Descent 3, Freespace2, etc...

Can't wait to get some 5.1 speakers and a recent graphics card, but this is enough for now.

I'm a happy man.

...until it's time to upgrade again!
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Originally posted by Ebu
    On the video card. If your only looking to spend around $150 US, then, the Abit GeForce4 Ti 4200 OTES is great. With the fan and heatsink system you get with that you can overclock that baby like nothing. Also, I just upgraded too! I got an Athlon 2100, and I love it so far. Also, I recently just purchased a Radeon 9700pro. And let me tell you, if you want to cream your pants, it is 300 bucks well spent. Got it from newegg.
    Also currently unemployed. I just picked up the Chaintech GF4 4200 128MB for $140, and absolutely beside myself waiting.

BTW, what's with the kiddie pr0n avatar?

Lookin nice adept!

Check out the ATI 9500 Pro 128MB. It cost me like $190 USD and it completely rocks! I'm getting 13K in 3DMark01 and 4K in 3DMark03. All my games run with high res, details, and AA/AF enabled without a hitch

9500 Pro, huh?

Hmmmm. I may have to wait before I pick anything out, but you think it's a good competitor for the Ti4200 cards from Asus and MSI?

Originally posted by a d e p t
    9500 Pro, huh?

Hmmmm. I may have to wait before I pick anything out, but you think it's a good competitor for the Ti4200 cards from Asus and MSI?
    Well, I just so happen to have a Ti4200 128MB by BFG (same idea as Asus or MSI, 4ns memory, etc) and a 9500 Pro 128MB.

So just out of curiosity I put both of them in the same machine and ran a few tests.

In Game Tests 2 and 3 of 3Dmark03, my 9500 Pro scores almost twice that of my Ti4200, not to mention that it also beats it quite well in many real life game benchmarks especially those where AA or AF are used. I don't remember the Game 1 score right now, but it's so CPU driven anyway, not really relevant...I think the 9500 Pro was higher.

Not to mention that ATI's image quality is far better.

If it were me, I'd go for the 9500 Pro. Then again, the TI4200s are a good $40 cheaper, so it's your call

I had the chance to compare a GeForce2 MX400 64Mb and a Radeon 7000 32Mb earlier this year, and even though the general consensus out there was that the nVidia was superior, the ATI actually displayed far crisper textures and its speed was better.

I'll still have to wait until my wallet is healthier, but I'm definitely leaning more towards the ATI products at this time.

After all, they're Canadian made, eh?

Originally posted by a d e p t
    I had the chance to compare a GeForce2 MX400 64Mb and a Radeon 7000 32Mb earlier this year, and even though the general consensus out there was that the nVidia was superior, the ATI actually displayed far crisper textures and its speed was better.

I'll still have to wait until my wallet is healthier, but I'm definitely leaning more towards the ATI products at this time.

After all, they're Canadian made, eh?
    Yeah, I take a liking towards ATI stuff myself...image quality is good, I'll certainly agree there

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Building New PC
    So here I am, taking advantage of my time off (not currently employed, remember?) to build my new box and spend even more time on WinDrivers...

I'm really excited about this PC, as I've been planning/saving/scheming for 3 years now to get the parts to build it. I had to "make do" with a PII 350 right up until 2 weeks ago when I sold it and finished my "intermediate" PC (Celeron 500@566) thanks to Garak (ECS dualie motherboard) and DocPC (Radeon 7000) among the donors for this machine. Thanks again guys.

So now I'm just anxiously awaiting for my 2x256Mb Corsair XMS DDR400 RAM to come in (ordered yesterday) so I can give my new PC a whirl.

I finally went with an AthlonXP 2100+ on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe. 2x40Gb Seagate drives (maybe on an additional ATA100 controller - not sure yet), an LG 32x CD burner, and an LG 16x DVD drive complete the "drives".

I'm sticking with my GeForce2 MX400 64Mb for now while eyeing the possibility of upgrading to something with a little more punch later on. The onboard sound is more than adequate for my needs.

A blue cold cathode and blue LED top fan complete the look of the "pre-modded" Nikao case I had chosen back in 2001 for this purpose.

Contrary to expectations from those who know me, I will not be overclocking this baby - just yet. I chose the best bang for the bucks I had and intend on respecting the warranties to the fullest.

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I've never been this happy to be unemployed!

I just wanted to give a heads up to those who have supported me throughout this upgrade - and the embarassment of using sub-standard hardware for so long - along with another round of thanks.

Adept, wish I would have had your address, just sold an AMD 2100+ and cooler for $25. Also got rid of a Gforce 5200fx 128mb video card for $20, they were spare parts from my upgrades. Seems like your building a nice machine though. Hope you enjoy using it. O am a first time poster here, but have been reading posts for couple years now. I usually have alot of parts just laying around, if anyone needs any just ask, I have parts I will probably never use again. By the way, I have an ATA133 controller card just laying here, trying to find a use for. Anyone need any spare parts for older pc, just ask, free if you pay shipping. My specs: Giga=byte GA-7VAXP Pro mobo, 2-512mb Micron DDR 2700, GForcw XFX 5200 256mb video, Sound blaster Audigy2, 200gb Western digital SATA hard drive, Toshiba 16x dvd, HP cd burner. AMD Barton 2500 (slightly O/C).
    Last edited by bryan12063; May 3rd, 2004 at 10:15 AM.

Hello Bryan and Welcome to Windrivers!

Sorry but the last post in this thread was made 02-20-2003, 11:52 PM GMT. ADEPT has finally found employment and is now running the lounge games.

Thank you for your offer of stuff, but please be aware the board cannot take any responsibility for any contact coming from you making such an offer. Normally "advertising" is deleted... however this is not quite advertising as such.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks Bryan.

I've been back in IT as a sysadmin for mobility tools now since early December 2003, but still have not managed to get this baby "upgraded" since the time of this post, as I'm still dealing with debts incurred during my dry spell.

Thanks Bryan.

I've been back in IT as a sysadmin for mobility tools now since early December 2003, but still have not managed to get this baby "upgraded" since the time of this post, as I'm still dealing with debts incurred during my dry spell.
    See. If you would have spent less time spending money and more time banging your hot wife while you were unemployed, you wouldn't be in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by meatwad
    See. If you would have spent less time spending money and more time banging your hot wife while you were unemployed, you wouldn't be in this situation.
    How do you think I racked up such a credit debt?

You have to set the mood with flowers, dining out, babysitting, etc.

How do you think I racked up such a credit debt?

You have to set the mood with flowers, dining out, babysitting, etc.