Backing up to CD

Thread: Backing up to CD

Backing up to CD

I have a client who would like to backup a database to CDRW but the db is larger that 700MB. I dont really think he can mangage to split the data up to burn the cd's manually. Is there a way to get Nero to span when backing up a directory?

I have had a lot of luck setting up backups for users by saving the nero session and then they just have to click on the saved session to make a backup. I would like to set this guy up so he does as little clicking as possible.

you could take a look at NTI backup Now
    http://www.ntibackupnow.com/default.asp
    it's fairly cheap, works well, compresses data to get about 1gig or so on a cd (I think) and autospans.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Another program call Backup MyPC by Stomp (originally developed by Veritas "BackupExec") would do the trick. This program will allow you to make nightly backups to a single CD-R (not just CD-RW's) using packet-writing like direct-CD. This will save you money on media. It's also not very expensive and operates very similar to the backup software that ships with Windows.

I would also think that any compression software like zip or rar could compress the database to fit on a CD and be copied using any CD burning software.

Try: www.stompinc.com

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    I use a little bit of freeware called "zip backup to CD" it doesn't do the burning, but does make zipfiles, split into whatever sizes you want.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

I Currently Use NTI Drive Backup 3,, Makes Perfect Full System restore sets Even If Its XP Pro With NTFS.
    And Best Of All,, It WORKS
    Oh Almost Forgot,, It Does Multi Disk Spanning.

NTI Backup Now looks like a good solution. I think it will work well and will be easy enough for this guy.

Thanks everyone.