no ps/2 keyboard in windows 2000

Thread: no ps/2 keyboard in windows 2000

no ps/2 keyboard in windows 2000

Our company just installed a new network with a bunch of Dell Optiplex GX240s. The standard keyboard we have been putting out with these machines is a USB keyboard with a card reader built in, but some of the users are using a KVM Switch that has to use a ps/2 connection so they can connect to their legacy machine that doesn't support USB(NT4).

Some of them work fine. The others lose the mouse and the keyboard when they boot, causing us to have to hard shut the machines down. I noticed that the Intel 845 chipset drivers aren't signed on the ones that aren't working and they are signed on the ones that are. I am going to try to load a driver from the CDs tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this and if you think I am looking in the right direction.

Thanks
    Roger: "Gotta light?"
    Sarien Guard: "Sorry, don't drink."
    -- Aboard the Deltaur

I've seen the issue with KVM switches and NT... you need KVM switches that emulate the keyboard and mouse for inactive ports, otherwise windowze NT thinks it lost the mouse.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Originally posted by CeeBee
    I've seen the issue with KVM switches and NT... you need KVM switches that emulate the keyboard and mouse for inactive ports, otherwise windowze NT thinks it lost the mouse.
    I second that notion...

I've had good results hooking USB mice/keyboards to GOOD PS/2 KVM's but have had all kinds of problems trying to hook PS/2 mice to serial ports the same way.

I agree though, the problem here is most probably the KVM switch. What type are they?

My KVM does that occasionally when it feels neglected, so I just unplug the power from the KVM and replug it, it works fine.

This is probably a stupid question, but what the heck.

What does the power on a KVM switch actually do? I have Belkin Omni Pro's and they seem to work fine without being plugged in.

KVM not the problem

The switch itself doesn't seem to be a problem. I tried plugging the keyboard directly into the machine, bypassing the switch, and it still kicks off the mouse and keyboard when it boots.

Also, the keyboard and mouse work fine if you don't boot to W2k. It works in BIOS and my boot CD. Haven't had a chance to try a different chipset driver. My boss wanted to put in a new motherboard(after I told him that wouldn't work) and it didn't fix it either.
    Roger: "Gotta light?"
    Sarien Guard: "Sorry, don't drink."
    -- Aboard the Deltaur

Re: KVM not the problem

Originally posted by gorfdaed
    The switch itself doesn't seem to be a problem. I tried plugging the keyboard directly into the machine, bypassing the switch, and it still kicks off the mouse and keyboard when it boots.

Also, the keyboard and mouse work fine if you don't boot to W2k. It works in BIOS and my boot CD. Haven't had a chance to try a different chipset driver. My boss wanted to put in a new motherboard(after I told him that wouldn't work) and it didn't fix it either.
    I'm getting confused.. wasn't it WinNT in the first post?
    And what do you mean by "kicks off the mouse and keyboard when it boots"??? You mean you can't use ctrl-alt-del and there is no mouse? And is it a USB mouse through an adapter or a standard PS/2 mouse??? Please try to reduce the confusion degree...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Re: Re: KVM not the problem

Originally posted by CeeBee
    I'm getting confused.. wasn't it WinNT in the first post?
    And what do you mean by "kicks off the mouse and keyboard when it boots"??? You mean you can't use ctrl-alt-del and there is no mouse? And is it a USB mouse through an adapter or a standard PS/2 mouse??? Please try to reduce the confusion degree...
    I thought it was just me that got lost there...