dual monitors in xp

Thread: dual monitors in xp

Question dual monitors in xp

Well i had an extra vid card and monitor so i decided to try using dual monitors in win xp (pro). it seems to work, but on odd occasions it just freezes. the whole system stops responding, no bsod or any other warning. and this started when i started using the dual monitors. are there any known issues with dual mons in xp? my 2 vid cards are: GF2 MX400 64MB AGP and ATI Radeon All-in-wonder 32MB PCI. both have the latest drivers. And i am using the native dual monitor software in xp, but i noticed that nvidia has soemthin in their software for dual monitor support. would i be better off using this?
    Sys specs:
    Soyo Dragon Plus!
    XP1600
    256MB 2100 DDR
    20GB IBM Deskstar
    30GB WD Caviar
    20GB Samsung Spinpont

thanks for any help!!!!
    IRC is just multiplayer notepad

Are both video cards using the same irq?

What slot is the ATI using? If it is slot 1 you will find that it shares resources (as a rule) with the agp slot.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

yeah, its in pci slot 1, i was under the impression that the second vid card MUST be in the first pci slot. i did try it in like the 4th slot but that didnt work. is it possible to use an alternate pci slot?
    IRC is just multiplayer notepad

Check with your motherboard manual.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I am running three monitors in XP Pro with no problems....

XP can/should handle the two monitors, without any added software

Check the BIOS to make sure that the AGP card is set as the primary monitor....

In the XP monitor settings make the AGP monitor the Primary monitor....You may want to try and reduce the Color Quality settings, down to 16 bit, if the other adjustments don't help....

As noted by NooNoo check to make sure, the position of the second card is not in the first PCI slot....

Sometimes the chip sets on these cards just don't work/play well with each other....

If all else fails, pick-up a cheap PCI video card (PNY) from someplace like Staples (they have a no questions asked return policy) and see if the problem goes away....

Good Luck getting it going....You will love multipule monitors....

....PSJ

As everyone has said, check to make sure you have the latest drivers. Also, I have an MSI GF4 4200 card that does dual display and has svideo out and works flawless with multiple monitors and tv. I can even boot up without a monitor hooked up and just the tv and it uses the TV as my monitor, pretty wicked. Maybe just invest in a newer card, mine was only $130 at www.newegg.com
    tootall
    www.tootall.net