Older machine USB problems
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Older machine USB problems

Older machine USB problems

I've been trying to get the USB port on my partner's older laptop to work so that he can connect his camera to it. It's a Pentium II 250mhz machine that had the USB installed when he got it. I enabled it in the BIOS and upgraded the comp to Win '98 form '95, but it still didn't work. It shows that it's installed, but not working properly. I've been told that because it's an early USB, it might need updated drivers, but the machine is a KTX (which I've discovered is Korean for rubbish!) and they have gone bust and there is no tech support. I'm just wondering if I can find out if windrivers has the driver(s) before I pay US$29.95, or if there is another sight that might have old KTX drivers.

Lets start with the make and full model of the laptop.

What error is in device manager? This may be a straight resources problem.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I get a message that says, "This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. code 10" I have reinstalled the driver that is available in Windows and it still doesn't work.

It's a KTX-1000 laptop.

Quick thought before I go off on a specs hunt, tried uninstalling it in safemode - both the hub and the controller and rebooting?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I should have mentioned that I'm not an expert in this stuff, by any means. What do you mean by "the hub and the controller"?

OK, when you load usb in windows at the bottom of the device manager window you will see the usb controller, if you click the + next to that you should see two devices, 1 is called the hub, the other the controller.

Those are the ones that tell you if you have usb installed correctly.

The error message you gave me, was this for the hub, the controller, or the usb device you want to run from the usb port?

The error message was for the controller.

It looks very similar, although I think that the one in the picture is a bit newer. Our cd-rom is on the front left, instead of front right, and the power lights are just above CD-rom, instead of top right as in pic. Otherwise, identical.

OK most likely you are out of resources.. try shutting off stuff you dont need in bios like comports. (serial ports)

Also check in device manager for ghosts, that is two or more of the same item... if you find them, delete both and reboot and let windows reload the drivers... with any luck it will shuffle them all so they all fit in

Oh, keyboard slightly different, as well. 5 bottom right keys, ctrl, alt, win etc. are bigger on machine in photo.

The picture is of an Acer Extensa... might be that your ktx-1000 is one of the early Acers rebadged - or someone else made it and sold it to both of them, who knows... but I still can't find any decent specs on it.

I'm in the BIOS, but there is no place to shut down serial ports. The peripherals listed under ADVANCED are touch pad, USB device and Plug & Play O/S.

Is plug n play os set to yes, or enabled?