Cannot connect to internet Page cannot be displayed

Thread: Cannot connect to internet Page cannot be displayed

Cannot connect to internet Page cannot be displayed

Need More than help. Ive worked on 3 machines over the last week that customer says cannot connect to internet. All 3 use a cable setup and run win98se . The message on internet explorer always reads SERVER NOT FOUND and below shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm. Have noticed all use kazaa, some aol instant messaging (most of stuff kids are into)
    Have followed microsoft procedure and cleaned out internet cache etc. Looked at tech bullitans 241344. Im able to ping the servers and recieve a response back. Ive installed and uninstalled ie. Ive reinstalled windows 98 over the exsisiting copies. Ran system file check etc. Ran virus scans on all 3 with negative results. If i reinstall windows within a new directory and reinstall drivers on the machines they all run fine again. It doesnt seem to be a hardware issue but something with explorer Is there something in the registry I should look at. Your ideas would be appreciated.Checked on internet re error message- some say virus some say Aol but 3 machines dont all fit the patterns
    thanks for your help (its my firsy posting go easy on me)
    Bill

You have a bad case of new.net - don't go there!

If you run adaware/spybot and remove it, that is what you end up with.

On XP machines it's dire - format and reinstall, nothing seems to get them back on the net!

98 Have a read here

DO NOT simply delete the DLL, as it tampers with the default Winsock settings and manual removal will cause you to lose Internet access.
    from the above link

Can you say EVIL???
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

yup, newdotnet. it's included with kazaa. I've found that sometimes you can locate the newdotnet folder, and run the uninstaller found in the folder will sometimes fixe the issue.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans