Ide Vs Eide

Thread: Ide Vs Eide

Ide Vs Eide

Hi Gang,

I have a problem with an EIDE device (CDRW). New disks don't show up when they are inserted. The green light blinks once or twice and I can hear something moving, but no icon shows up and I get an error saying the device is not ready.

The CDRW is listed in its manual as an EIDE device however I am using an IDE cable. Does this make a difference or not?

Thanks,
    Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Short answer - NO.

More info here

However, if you have the ide cable plugged into the ATA port this can cause problems. Some motherboards explicitly say that cdroms must be plugged into ide2.

But from what you are saying - it is detected in both windows and bios.

There are a few software issues that can cause this behaviour, would need to know what OS you are running, what burning software etc...

The fastest way to see if it is a software issue is to put it in another machine... if you get the same result it is either dirty or faulty.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Orange - you are confusing EIDE and UIDE. The EIDE standard is old, and uses 40-conductor wires. It's UIDE/66 and higher that requires the 80-conductor cable.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Is that UIDE or IUD,,?????

Sorry, wrong topic again,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

I'll throw some more acronyms in to add to the confusion...

IDE, EIDE, ATA, ultra-ATA (same as UIDE?); they're all supposed to be more or less compatible with each other. You can run a CD-ROM drive on an ultra-ATA controller with a 40-wire cable, it will just run at DMA 2 speed (33 MB/sec). I have yet to see a CD drive run at any mode higher than DMA 2 anyway. DMA 4 (66 MB/sec), DMA 5 (100 MB/sec), and DMA 6 (133 MB/sec) are modes that are supported by hard drives and will only work with an 80-wire cable.

So, to possibly answer your question, don't worry about the cables so much; you might swap the cable for another known-good 40-wire cable, but you wouldn't want to waste an 80-wire cable on a drive that can't utilize it anyway. Run a CD cleaning disc in your CD-ROM drive -- it might be dirty.

However, if you have the ide cable plugged into the ATA port this can cause problems. Some motherboards explicitly say that cdroms must be plugged into ide2.
    NooNoo, an IDE is an IDE is an IDE... whether CD the drive is connected to the primary or secondary controller in any system will make no difference. As long as its jumpered and cabled properly, it will work.
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

Wouldn't that actually be UATA (Ultra-ATA)? I don't think I've ever heard it referred to as UIDE before? And yes I do know that it's just semantics, but...

Originally posted by stevet

NooNoo, an IDE is an IDE is an IDE... whether CD the drive is connected to the primary or secondary controller in any system will make no difference. As long as its jumpered and cabled properly, it will work.
    6 months ago I would have happily agreed with you... till this guest in chat was having all kinds of hell trying to configure his cd rom - I finally downloaded his mobo manual and read it... the cd rom had to be plugged into ide 2.

I wish I could remember the mobo to prove it to you... but trust me, its out there...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."