I really hate Windows Me

Thread: I really hate Windows Me

I really hate Windows Me

Well there is no end to my problems with ME. I am convinced 98/W2K/XP is the way to go. I have this P3 650Mhz with 384 megs of memory that restarts right after it gets into the desktop screen. I have tried using safe mode but same thing happens. Thought it was memory but put another hard drive in with Win98 on it no problems and it stayed on. Thought it was the hard drive but scandisk came up with a few lost clusters but thats it. The first hard drive is a 15GB WD drive and Second is an 80GB WD hard drive. Tried to load Win 2000 Pro to upgrade os but now I can't get past the Win 2000 startup screen. Bar goes half way before it restarts. Prior to reformatting the hard drive and starting all over again does anyone have any suggestions??? Computer restarts no matter what I do. I tried to get to system restore but no luck in windows mode anyway to do it in dos mode?

Scandisk is hardly a thorough tool for checking harddrives.

If win2k refused to setup and ME won't load in safe mode, there is something very funky going on.

I suggest you get the diagnostics for your harddrives and run the thorough tests (not the destructive ones) and see what they report first.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I say, ME blows. Run the HD test. If the drive is good, format and load 2k. If the drive is bad, replace it, format and load 2k . After running the Manufacturer's test, I sometimes run the IBM test also as a second opinion.

ME is adorable, but anyway, if I uderstand you right, disk with 98 works well, disk with ME does not work. I would suspect something wrong in the boot sector. Check the autotexec.bat file, and perhaps you would need to replace system boot files. hopefully that would help.

try booting in the safe mode and changing the video driver to standard video driver and afterwards go on-line and see if there is a driver for your video card for ME.....had the same prob with an ATI 7500 with win2000

Nobody has said this yet, so here goes...

Your problem could be power-related. If those two hard drives plus whatever else you have in there are pulling too much juice then that could be the problem. Either an under-powered PSU or a faulty one... or anything else related to power (surge protector, UPS, electric eels, etc.). You said you attached a different hard drive with Win98 on it and everything was fine, but maybe you unplugged some other things while doing that?

Well there is no end to my problems with ME. I am convinced 98/W2K/XP is the way to go.
    I agree, Me is like Win98 Third Edition, but not even as good as Second Edition. I agree with what you say about 98/W2K/XP is the way to go; except you can leave off 98. Your machine can handle it, so if its an option, stop messing around with 9x and install 2k or XP -- they're far more stable.

Just my 2 cents, plus an extra penny or two.
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

I find and my Techs report that ME gets a ragging while it is not a bad OS at all. That said it is no NT / 2k / XP but its hardware requirment is quite low and very flexable.

Hardware problems will stop any OS dead, swap out the ram first.

Stick a DMM on the PSU and check out whats happening on the 3.3v line to the MB and the +/-5 and +/-12 lines

A huge number of PSU are just nasty nowdays and sag something wicked underload. We have a Scope so that the harmonics can be checked on the supplys in question you may need to borrow one.

98SE _was_ a good os, lots of drivers, lots of utils to tweak and repair it, quite small and fast, however it is very old now and the likes of XP in either home or Pro are vastly better.

ME seems to have far better USB support and less of the old Dos / Win95 quirks. It was a pitty that the restorepoint side of it is so flakey.

ME's biggiest issue seems to be people forcing it onto really old hradware and using a hodge podge of windows 95, 98 and 98SE drivers on it.

I shudder when I remember a client really ragging on ME only to find it was a pirate copy loaded by his son onto a P166 laptop with 32Mb of ram!

I have not seen but I expect to see very soon new hardware coming on steam that has no 9x or ME support.

You hardware spec is easily able to run 2k or XP.
    <Help> Connect it to the one called SERIAL 1, look at the shape and make sure it is the right way before you gently push it on
    <User> It WON'T go on!
    <User> Wait a second....
    <User> 'Sound of breaking'
    <User> Thats it its on now!
    <User> ****! Now its fallen off!
    <Help> It should go on easily, what does the connector say next to it?
    <User> I think it says PARALLEL.
    <Help> Ok we will book an onsite call.
    <Tech> Replace M/B, Muppet had tried to connect Modem DB25 F/male to Parallel DB25 female.

I would suspect a hardware problem. Make sure all your cards are well-seated in their slots. Also check your BIOS settings, reset them to "safe" and see if it is running. Also try a memory test. Check if the IDE cables are properly inserted also. Let us know if you still have problems.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I had ME for six days before the system restore function was preventing me from rebooting my computer. (That d@mn IE 5.5) After that I reinstalled 98. I had to reformat too. Good thing for Iomega Zip Disks!

Anyway, I don't know what I am going to do when 98 goes out of use. I suspect hundreds of millions of people will be in my situation too. I don't think they will be crazy about having to learn a new operating system just because Bill Gates says so.

I know I'm not!
    Bouncy Bouncy

Anyway, I don't know what I am going to do when 98 goes out of use. I suspect hundreds of millions of people will be in my situation too. I don't think they will be crazy about having to learn a new operating system just because Bill Gates says so.
    Windows 2000 Professional is very 98 like, I recommend it for people who had either 98 or even 95... Easy transition, and you can buy a legal copy at the computer show for around $100... It just doesn't play some older games well....
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz