this kid is havin me install XP on his fast *** computer i built him.... - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: this kid is havin me install XP on his fast *** computer i built him....

Originally posted by factory81
    emr, everyone has there own opinion and is entitled to there own. but whats the fun or point in a forum if theres no drama?
    haha
    Let's clear a few things here about XP and 2k and Nt in general.

NT was designed from the begining for a business operating system, with the emphasis on stability, not performance.

NT4.0 dominated the workplace environment for years and years. NT4.0 was however getting outdated on the current hardware, too many patchs, to many service packs and too many work arounds. MS then came out with windows 2000.

Now the important bit.. windows 2000 was NOT DESIGNED for a home operating system, it was designed for a WORKPLACE environment. For me, you, and most other IT proffesionals, that's ok. Now MS saw that 2k went over well for a lot of home people, so they developed XP designed for the home market.

Now, i use both 2k AND xp, and frankly,as NooNoo said, once beaten into submission, it's better then 2k, more options and more control. I have a laptop, i've tried both 2k pro and XP, same hardware resources and xp is more responsive, more stable and just as easy to work with. Giving the choice, I'll use XP over 2k on any of my systems. The only reason my desktop runs 2k is because i have the server edition running as part of my school program.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

does it make you sleep better knowing you have custom folders in Windows XP, that look cool, but in the end just lag the OS more then anything.

Let me tell you what Windows is...i dont care what version. Time to make you feel like a idiiot. Its a Microsoft operating system made to appeal to as many people who freely choose and they are out to make money, so more sold, the happier. I believe they want any black crackhead and indian boys to buy there OS's also.

Windows 2000 was built for anyone who could afford it.
    What did NT offer? CRAP. no usb support, endless service packs that brought up more problems,no directx support in any way. They knew the OS was great, just it had to be worked on. They knew NT was the future, and more stability could be achieved on it. Windows 98, sucking largely at the same, being a instable little....it is,. So they think, what could be better then NT and 98? How bout the best of both. They make Windows 2000 out of it. Windows 2000, offers support for as many if not more hardware devices then XP, and XP Home even limits you to one cpu, and more restricted user control. Same os, but they have the guts to charge 60 bux more for the same OS, with dual CPU support, and more user control. Windows 2000, a straight foward, smooth operating system, easy to install, easy to manage and keep up, and no real harder to use then XP.

Microsoft knew NT was the future because the users wanted stability, scalability, and security, while being able to have a usable multitasking OS. Windows 2000 did just that. Microsoft did target the OS to buisness PC's mostly. But anyone looking for a rock solid stable OS with support everything 98 had.
    Some users, got the impression it was for workstation use, maybe you did to. None the less, anyone who tried it is definitly impressed.ME was just a copy of Win2k's GUI and looks, so it was still easy for the home user, and MS still thought NT was the market, Why would they release ME, when it had as many problems as it did, no real upgrade in the system. It looked like Windows 2000, and guess what it was, BLOATWARE like WINDOWS XP. So you get where im going.
    They take Windows 2000, throw a new GUI on it, that is even more appealing to the unwise and the old,they make it based off NTFS so it still held the core of Windows 2000. Then they put the make-up on this little girl, so it would actuelly sell. Would you pickup a ugly prosititute with no benefits? No, so they add more wizards, update the driver base, give it that GUI i mentioned, they gain more on the war on pirating because of product activation. Now all MS wants us to be acustomed to is, product activation for everything. Microsoft is still a monopoly. You just have to look at it. For the rest of our lives, were never gonna see a product activation free microsoft main product again (Office / Windows product).

So to sum up what do you get with Windows XP:
    -less support for hardware if anything
    -a faster booting but not neccessarily longer booted OS
    -Windows 2000 with a facial
    -378,000 wizards and tools for the mentally challanged
    -music folders and video folders, dont ask me why, it just slows the OS down more.....
    -product activation

I dunno dude, give me some postives for XP, Ive probably installed and ran XP more times then youve have changed your car's oil. It doesnt offer any real hardcore benefit over Windows 2000. Its another "Windows ME to what 98 was".

And what was millenium?

a POS.

and let me guess, your idea of control is how to make the start menu look stupid, and how to make control panel look stupid. you have no more control in XP, then you do in 2k. You still have the same registry to hack.
    No greater level of control then that.
    i got all kinds of shiiiiiiiii to yap about.

Factory81 - I suggest you run linux as your knowledge of M$ products and their history is far superior to anyone elses.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Is that in a sarcastical way?

does it make you sleep better knowing you have custom folders in Windows XP, that look cool, but in the end just lag the OS more then anything.
    Oh please, take thing in context...

Let me tell you what Windows is...i dont care what version. Time to make you feel like a idiiot. Its a Microsoft operating system made to appeal to as many people who freely choose and they are out to make money, so more sold, the happier. I believe they want any black crackhead and indian boys to buy there OS's also.
    Business plain and simple, produce what sells.

What did NT offer? CRAP. no usb support, endless service packs that brought up more problems,no directx support in any way. They knew the OS was great, just it had to be worked on. They knew NT was the future, and more stability could be achieved on it. Windows 98, sucking largely at the same, being a instable little....it is,. So they think, what could be better then NT and 98? How bout the best of both. They make Windows 2000 out of it. Windows 2000, offers support for as many if not more hardware devices then XP, and XP Home even limits you to one cpu, and more restricted user control. Same os, but they have the guts to charge 60 bux more for the same OS, with dual CPU support, and more user control. Windows 2000, a straight foward, smooth operating system, easy to install, easy to manage and keep up, and no real harder to use then XP.
    Oh man, your WAY off on your facts.

1. USB did NOT EXISTS when NT4.0 came out, you must remember NT4.0 is almost 8 years old now. I think that for an os, any os to last that long is amazing and a testatment to good coding.

2. directX? Who cares!!!!!!! It's a BUSINESS GRADE OPERATING SYSTEM... you don't want people playing games. Most workplace systems don't even have a sound card.

3. Until recently dual CPU system at home where next to unheard of.

Microsoft knew NT was the future because the users wanted stability, scalability, and security, while being able to have a usable multitasking OS. Windows 2000 did just that. Microsoft did target the OS to buisness PC's mostly. But anyone looking for a rock solid stable OS with support everything 98 had.
    Some users, got the impression it was for workstation use, maybe you did to. None the less, anyone who tried it is definitly impressed.ME was just a copy of Win2k's GUI and looks, so it was still easy for the home user, and MS still thought NT was the market, Why would they release ME, when it had as many problems as it did, no real upgrade in the system. It looked like Windows 2000, and guess what it was, BLOATWARE like WINDOWS XP. So you get where im going.
    They take Windows 2000, throw a new GUI on it, that is even more appealing to the unwise and the old,they make it based off NTFS so it still held the core of Windows 2000. Then they put the make-up on this little girl, so it would actuelly sell. Would you pickup a ugly prosititute with no benefits? No, so they add more wizards, update the driver base, give it that GUI i mentioned, they gain more on the war on pirating because of product activation. Now all MS wants us to be acustomed to is, product activation for everything. Microsoft is still a monopoly. You just have to look at it. For the rest of our lives, were never gonna see a product activation free microsoft main product again (Office / Windows product).
    Activation hunh? Why should that worry you unless you pirate software?!?!?! Windows, like any other software is intelectual property, and they have every right to charge for it. Personaly, I don't care about activation, all my windows that i run are legal.

removing support for old, outdated hardware.. i can understand that

Most people care about how long they wait for a system startup, it's easy to shut down and walk away

you can say the same of windows 98 compared to 95b

Welcome to the world of the joe blow user

-music folders and video folders, dont ask me why, it just slows the OS down more.....
    maybe not important to you, but for joe blow it is important, if you don't like it, shut it off.

-product activation
    see my notes above on activation, this again should be no concern to the user who has everything legal

I dunno dude, give me some postives for XP, Ive probably installed and ran XP more times then youve have changed your car's oil. It doesnt offer any real hardcore benefit over Windows 2000. Its another "Windows ME to what 98 was".
    Hmm, for my laptop, i can name one right of the start MUTIPLE WORKGROUPS! with XP, i can scan all the workgroups on a network and connecto to said resources.. without changing my own workgroup.

Cleartype fonts.

And what was millenium?

a POS.
    I'll agree with that

and let me guess, your idea of control is how to make the start menu look stupid, and how to make control panel look stupid. you have no more control in XP, then you do in 2k. You still have the same registry to hack.
    Uhm, on my system most people looking at it think i'm running 98, you can tear the luna theme out and beat xp into whatever you want, there are more options in xp then you realize. get to know a freaking operating system befor you blast the crap out of it.

you may have installed it often, but i can tell by your answers that you've never scratched below the surface.

I've waisted enough time on you. I got better things to do.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

noonoo, what are you using to show your uptime?

Originally posted by MD_Geist
    noonoo, what are you using to show your uptime?
    that's a script in the mirc client she uses in chat

I have the same one..
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Time to make you feel like a idiiot.
    Now I know this wasn't directed at me, but I suggest you learn how to spell idiot first before using it in a post.

There you go, some drama on the forums!

emr

Tattoo addict
    I just want to add that I like and use Win2k pro on 3 of my 5 boxes here at home and I think it's a pretty good OS and I am happy with it,I am sure XP has it's merits too,and it is probably a fine OS as well.I also use Win98se on my laptop and ME on my print/game/server/phone system box,and they are useful too.

now, lets all have a *group hug*.....

I run XP on my desktops. The things I do haven't changed much since I ran 95 and there is no (zero) difference between 2000 and XP in the way of speed on my P4. It's got a few extra perks which come in handy sometimes. Camera, scanner, and other video capture devices are all installed pretty seemlessly (no having to point to directories). Sortable MP3 title and album listings in the folder are handy when you've just downloaded a few gig of music with titles like "01 - album name.mp3". Mostly, XP is the best "user proof" software out there now. If you're building or supporting boxes for retail customers, that's what you want "user proof". I run it because it comes with my MSDN kit so what the hell? Besides, it's my job to know the new technology inside and out. If I don't, I'll get replaced just like that old technology.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

LOL this has got to be the first time I've seen somebody stick up for an OLDER M$ OS!!! Frickin' hilarious.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

factory81 : I'm going to get this out of my system now, before I shoot you down in flames. Please, enjoy the next few minutes of whatever small dignity you have left

Ready?.. lets begin. I have randomly selected one of your posts to pull to pieces. This should not be difficult.

I usually sleep better after a good feed, and / or shagging, but hey, whatever floats your boat. I do feel, however, that this pre-disposition you seem to have with some of the features Windows XP carries, is a bit sad. They can be turned off, nobody is forcing you to use them, kiddo.
    Let me tell you what Windows is...i dont care what version.
    Interesting.. interesting... do go on...
    Time to make you feel like a idiiot.
    Good luck...
    Its a Microsoft operating system made to appeal to as many people who freely choose and they are out to make money, so more sold, the happier. I believe they want any black crackhead and indian boys to buy there OS's also.
    Dear lord, you think they are trying to make money? Out of a business? Well, I guess your Nobel prize is already in the post eh? I also think you are somewhat deluded with the racial comment there, pal.
    What did NT offer? CRAP.
    Security, stability, ease of administration, great uptime, easy for the average office worker to use..... shall I go on?
    no usb support, endless service packs that brought up more problems,no directx support in any way.
    Actually, it had(has) support for DirectX 3, if memory serves me as well as I think it does...
    They knew the OS was great,
    Wait, did you not just say it was 'CRAP'?...
    just it had to be worked on. They knew NT was the future, and more stability could be achieved on it. Windows 98, sucking largely at the same, being a instable little....it is,. So they think, what could be better then NT and 98? How bout the best of both. They make Windows 2000 out of it. Windows 2000, offers support for as many if not more hardware devices then XP,
    You think people still want to be using their BUS mouses? (no, the plural is not 'mice')
    Old devices and interfaces have made way for new, and often better designs and implementation. Get over it.
    and XP Home even limits you to one cpu, and more restricted user control. Same os, but they have the guts to charge 60 bux more for the same OS, with dual CPU support, and more user control.
    XP Professional has a lot more useful goodies on the networking side of things too, but I'm assuming from your "my-head-is-so-far-up-my-rectum" attitude, you already knew that?..
    Windows 2000, a straight foward, smooth operating system, easy to install, easy to manage and keep up, and no real harder to use then XP.
    Windows 2000, the operating system I was happy to use, until it no longer did what I wanted, and was not performing as well as XP can (and does) on my current PC.
    Microsoft knew NT was the future because the users wanted stability, scalability, and security, while being able to have a usable multitasking OS. Win....... blah blah blah blah.... edited for length reasons, and the fact you were just dribbling crap.... blah blah blah .... Windows product).
    *yawn*.. sorry, must have dozed off...
    Can't say I've got any problems... or any of my clients.
    Again, manages everything nicely for me... maybe the problem isn't with everyone else, its just you?..
    Haven't you just been ranting that it isn't Windows 2000? .... thats been the whole crux of your argument.. Go on, shoot yourself in the other foot now.
    .. use them often?
    You cannot seriously believe this is slowing the whole gig up? Get over yourself, child...
    -product activation
    So, they made it harder to steal the thing, big deal. You don't seem fond of it anyway, so why would you care?
    I dunno dude, give me some postives for XP, Ive probably installed and ran XP more times then youve have changed your car's oil.
    Don't be too cocky kiddo, it just makes it easier to knock you down a few pegs.
    It doesnt offer any real hardcore benefit over Windows 2000. Its another "Windows ME to what 98 was".
    I call bullsh1t. You clearly don't know what you are talking about...
    And what was millenium?
    A song by Robbie Williams.
    a POS.
    Not a Robbie fan?..
    and let me guess, your idea of control is how to make the start menu look stupid, and how to make control panel look stupid. you have no more control in XP, then you do in 2k.
    The appearance of XP is irellevant, that can be changed, and quite easily so. You still have not presented any real argument against it, and I doubt you can.
    You still have the same registry to hack.
    I just hope you don't believe your own crap, son...
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

Originally posted by Gollo
    LOL this has got to be the first time I've seen somebody stick up for an OLDER M$ OS!!! Frickin' hilarious.
    It's more of putting someone who does not know what they are talking in there place then about defending an older OS.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Ok aside from all other posts of you knocking me. I would like you to prove actual factual UPGRADES that Windows XP offers over Win2k.

They added the new gui / icons
    mp3 / music folders (that when your dealin with a couple hundred files or more will just make your computer experience more delayed, you can use them but the feature sometimes is useful for catogorizing mp3's if you dont go to a real good source like IRC and download the 192kbps full album rips)
    like mentioned, more menus and wizards
    they allow you to set back your comp's date and restore (been around for a while but never integrated completely into a OS stock)
    product activation is no worry for me, i dont care about it, i just feel it is Microsoft's way of puttin more of a clamp on its users. Spyware, whatever. I am a Wintel user pretty much for the most part. But I do not like how the P3 allowed you to have the serial ID, but you could dissable it. Then I do not like how Windows XP asks for a specific product activation. Make me feel like MS is watching me and several other consumers I have talked with are not comfortable with this feature also. invasion of privacy we fear.
    they re-did the boot proccess
    updated the driver selection (most people were just happy with havin to find drivers for ME or 2k, now they had to wait for XP drivers to come out for all there products if the Windows 2000 drivers werent compatible

Now once again, Ive used XP alot, ive never used it more then a few days as a personal OS, because I use it, and I find its exactly what I said. What ME was to 98. A small upgrade with practically no more features. All just a way for another doller out your wallet.

Tattoo addict
    Originally posted by EvilCabbage
    factory81 : I'm going to get this out of my system now, before I shoot you down in flames. Please, enjoy the next few minutes of whatever small dignity you have left

wow! EC,,,thats a true work of are!