win xp usb woes
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: win xp usb woes

Unhappy win xp usb woes

Since upgrading to win xp none of my usb devices are detected. I have downloaded every update from microsoft. I have uninstalled the driver for the hub and the controller, but windows reinstalls the same driver, I have checked for updated drivers but found none. I am trying to get my usb zip drive to work. I had it installed in win 98 but upon upgrading to xp it no longer works. Usb is enabled in my bios, and is report to be working fine in device manager. i have been spending many hours on this for several days and would very much like any input anyone could offer

thanks
    ben

Have you tried plugging in a different USB device yet? If not, that's certainly where I'd go next. No sense pulling your hair out over something that might not even be the problem.

I would also try the reverse and plug the ZIP drive into a different PC.

Once you have the results of those two little experiments you'll have a much better idea what's going on.
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

Try this if its an iomega

Did you try removing the hub and controller in safe mode?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

yesterday i did a quick restore on my comouter which returned it to win 98, i figured i might need to have my zip drive installed before upgrading. as it wasn't when i first upgraded many months ago. having a need for it a few days ago i tried installing it but it didn't work so i tried a quick restore. so i know my zip works fine as it was working an hour before i upgraded.
    i have treid a wireless access point as well as my zip drive and it does not work either. both worked fine in win 98. i noticed while in device manager there is an option in the view menu to show hidden devices. when i enable it another controller shows up, this one has an ! next to it. it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" also i noticed when i had win 98 i had 2 hubs and 2 controllers now i have only one hub. on my computer i have 4 usb ports 2 in the front and 2 in back. do i need 2 hub drivers?
    also after reading your reply i tried uninstalling in safe mode but there was no difference. what is supposed to be different?
    i thank you for trying to help
    and would be in your debit if you would continue
    ben

Right, depends on the motherboard - usually its one hub per two ports.

Need some details about this zip drive.

Yes safe mode is different - very different, in safemode you cannot hear windows scream.

Also safemode ensures you are logged in as administrator, and for installing hardware in xp home, you have to be logged in as administrator for certain things.

So boot to safe mode, show hidden devices and remove the lot. Reboot and see what happens. Do not connect your usb items until you have sorted out the code 10 problem.

Is this a via chipset machine?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i have gone through every troubleshooter i can find, including windows and iomega.
    i just tried going into safe mode and uninstalling the hub and controllers, but they were reinstalled and one controller still has a code 10.
    as for my motherboard, it hasn't changed just by upgrading my os. so if it had 2 before why would it now only need one now.
    my zip drive is an iomega zip 100 usb. it is not powered by usb but rather has a separte ac adapter and it can only hook up by usb.
    also i have win xp pro.
    i don't know what a via chipset is. my computer is a compaq desktop 5600s with an AMD k3 400mhz
    if you tell what one is and how to tell, i will do my best to figure it out
    and again thank you for helping
    ben

go into device manager and click on the + next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers..you will have a primary, a secondary, and a third below them I think you will have a VIA bus master ide controller listed..if you do, you have a VIA chipset. gohere
    and download the hyperion 4 in 1 listed on the page, and install it.
    Last edited by geoscomp; February 7th, 2003 at 05:15 PM.

yes i have a via bus master ide controller listed in device manager so i guess i have a via chipset

try downloading that VIA 4in1 driver on the link I gave you..see if installing that will help

i downloaded it and installed it, but i see no changes, still have a code 10

Did you remove the usb controllers again in safemode after you installed the via drivers?

When you plug the zip drive in the rear usb port, does it work?

ok went into safe mode uninstalled reset but i still have code 10, do you goes know what code 10 stands for?
    none of my usb ports work, i've tried all 4

Is there a place in your BIOS for you to set it for plug and play operating system, and is it set to yes? Code 10 is kind of an ambiguous code meaning a device couldn't start..a lot of times it is because of an IRQ conflict

i have gone into my bios and enabled it
    there is a place in my bios where i can assign an irq for my usb there are two usb controllers there and the defult is 11 but i can change it to 10 or 5 or disable them. i've tried change them to both 10 and 5