Win2k not recognised in DHCP?

Thread: Win2k not recognised in DHCP?

Question Win2k not recognised in DHCP?

For a while now I have been running Windows 2000 server with DHCP. It was installed fresh and took over from a NT 4 server running DHCP, the NT 4 server was taken off-line and wasn't upgraded to 2000.

All was fine with the NT 4 server but since I have moved over to the new 2000 server none of the 2000 clients would pick up any IP from DHCP, althought all the 9x clients would. I thought it might be something to do with the actual server it was installed on, so I re-installed it on another 2000 server from scratch no copying of anything. No difference.

All the servers and clients were tested thoroughly with all service packs and the different options within DHCP to assign an IP on the MAC address, no difference.

We have now recently started to install XP clients and surprisingly they work just like the 9x clients, with no problems.

So as I write this all of the clients, except the 2000 clients, can get an IP from DHCP with no problems.

There is no routers or firewalls or anything else likely to stop the DHCP broadcast message from reaching the 2000 clients.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

on the server, go to the add remove programs and add the network monitor (should be there somewhere)

this is a relatively simple packet tracking utility, with the DHCP server installed, you'll have a few presets, so you can see if the server is getting the DHCP dicsover packets, and if so, if there is a responses..

If the server sees no broadcasts from the clients, then it's a 2k issues, install a packet tracker on one of those systems and track the info.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Are any of your main routers pointing to the old dhcp server? Are you running VLANS?
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"