Enough bandwidth

Thread: Enough bandwidth

Thumbs down Enough bandwidth

We are being offered broadband cable
    connectivity at 3.5 mgs. What kinf d of upload speed can I count on, and is it enough bandwidth for a small school with 100 computers? Many Thanks!

Re: Enough bandwidth

Originally posted by jfreeman
    We are being offered broadband cable
    connectivity at 3.5 mgs. What kinf d of upload speed can I count on,
    you'd really need to ask your provider. upload and download speeds often are not the same with cable service. for example, at my home we are subscribed to cable modem service that offers 512kbs download and 128kbs upload speeds. ask the provider what the specific upload and download caps are.
    and is it enough bandwidth for a small school with 100 computers? Many Thanks!
    well it depends on what you are going to allow the computers to do, how many are going to be on the net at the same time, and the structure of your network.

if you are truly going to get 3.5mbs down (which I doubt) then it could certainly be enough especially if you throttled each connection (workstation) to say 128kbs.
    but if you don't enforce any rules about bandwidth, 50 kids on at the same time running kazzaa, or winmx downloading mp3s ISOs and other junk could certainly cripple your network.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Cable? I wouldn't take it into a setting like that. It's to unstable. I would look at ADSL for stability. Now you say they are offering it to you. Does that mean free? If so jump all over it. Then if you grow out of it you can get another pipeline and use that cable for mail or vpn access for teachers or something.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

bandwidth

Many Thanks!!!!!!!